Saturday, March 08, 2008

Happy & Lucky in Siamese

My heart was conflicted today. The middle ground I found myself comfortable with was that I didn't have plans to workout per se even though I had plans to diagram my plans to workout. I had set this activity after my late afternoon hair color appointment.

When I arrived at the salon, Michelle was mixing my shade of goo. I quickly dropped my bag and headed outside a few doors down to get both of us our boba drinks. Yes, I was thoughtful in including her because I knew she probably hadn't eaten most of the day and it was 4pm. The fresh fruit mixed in with the floating large tapioca pearls would give her some energy and fill her tummy. (Does my compulsion ever take a rest? No. You will see.)

Michelle and I caught up in each other's lives since we last saw each other in January. I told her of my epiphany and she concurred that it was true. She has the same issues too with her children. As an Asian mom, she tends to overkill on helping them and has suffered heartache at her daughter's disrespect and selfishness. (Jeezus, if I am blessed enough to be a mom, I hope to not be a Smother, but a Mother.) Anyhoo, we found ways to laugh about stuff. She also mentioned that I was her last appointment for the day and I could come over for a drink.
Uh....umm....where was that focus and not being rude, you newly resolved AGOL?
The one thing I didn't mention yesterday that I've talked to Rob about was my intuitive side. When I heard Michelle mention the drink, my first instinct was to withdraw, but all I could hear was the call out for Love behind it. She has no family around and no real girlfriends to come over when she is available. My heart tugged. You might recall that she reminds me of my late mother. Her home was three minutes from the salon and it would only be a couple of hours of my time. How could I say no? SHADDAP -- I know how you say the goddamn word.

We sat outside by her pool drinking tumblers filled with vodka and cranberry juice while she smoked to wind down a bit. Later she turned music on to current dance music to which I made her change it to classic disco which always makes me happy and later made her too because she lived it.

Michelle's son had bought her two Siamese cats to keep her company now that she's been divorced several months. She named the brothers Happy and Lucky, two things she aspires to be these days. She deserves both.


(L-R: Michelle with kitties Happy & Lucky, orchid collection brought in from outside because of the freeze warning tonight, wine collection (I love the rack!), Happy on kitchen rug, Lucky on air hockey table investigating orchids)

The alcohol certainly lifted both our spirits. Michelle soon made a delicious Korean flavored dinner of mandu (Korean eggrolls), her version of coleslaw, delicious mackerel marinated and seasoned in spice, super spicy potatoes (yowza!) that I did not finish, fresh rice from the cooker and a side of serious kim chi for her. We hungrily dug in with chopsticks. The kitties kept climbing on each of our laps curious as to all the commotion going on above them. It was fun at the table with the disco tunes playing in the background.

The odd thing for me was I know that Michelle's favorite color is a true yellow (like my late mother), but her home was in varying shades of cream, white, black and gray. My lovelies, we're talking inside and outside the home! It was beautiful to look at, but not inviting or warm. I may have to put a message to her when I visit her next weekend to drop off framed pics of her and her kitties. [Yes, I fucking know, this is too thoughtful. Arrgh. Maybe I need a more serious boyfriend to keep me occupied than a couple of place markers. Not expounding on this. I have received enough lectures.] I will recommend yellow paint, new furniture or new brighter pillows or tablecloth, new bedclothes and brighter accessories before the summer party I told her she should have...

I do not regret not saying no, but it is things like these that take me away from goal. Finding balance in pleasing others and focusing on my own things are paramount. My family and friends focus on their stuff and that is why they thrive. I need to find the real meaning of thrive very quickly, if you please.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: