Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Foreignly Familiar

Ooh, Vietnamese! I wished the morning away quickly until Ant would drive from the other building and pick up Bridget and me for a new Vietnamese place he's scoped out this week. This would be Ant's second trip to the restaurant this week. He's determined to try his favorite dishes.

Ant had invited Lee along to make a foursome for lunch. Bridget had never had Vietnamese but was adventurous enough to try. She ordered the same Bun Bowl I did of grilled pork, eggroll and veggies on top of rice vermicelli noodles. Ant ordered his food in Vietnamese (he's full Caucasian!) and food that are more closely aligned with a Vietnamese palate instead of an American one. Did I mention the spice he added could be felt by my eyeballs across the table? Whew. Bridget is a convert now and I thoroughly enjoyed my dish which was better than the place Kathy and I had been frequenting. The only disappointment was the Bridget wasn't able to master her chopsticks and had to ask for a fork. I will have to have her practice at work with the extra ones I have there.

On the way home, I caught up with Kristey and solidified our plans to walk on Saturday morning with a new friend of hers I met at her party a couple of weekends ago. Her friend coincidentally works in my building and the friend is hoping we can meet up for lunch a couple of times a week. We'll see. Not sure about the drama she brings. I may have to mention my editing mode...

Kathy picked me up for our Greek dinner. I haven't seen her in a month, but we've IM'ed everyday. Poor thing is going to school at night, loaded with twice the work and trying to interview for a new and less stressful job. Soon we were cheered by the live Greek music, some dancing by the waitstaff and gorgeously delicious food.

Baklava Cheesecake? Really? Zeus had smiled upon us.



Kathy had mentioned she had a small gift for me. Of course, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at all interested. I am the quintessential little girl at her birthday party ready to tear open gift wrap and matching ribbon. Ha! It was a bit overwhelming and I cried in the car. Here, one of the closest friends I have in the world, gave me another thoughtful gift. She said it was to help me out during my workout and she loved the color for me. It matches my phone! The best part? It was preloaded with music and she made sure that David Bowie was on the playlist.



It was nearing 10:30 before Kathy left to go home and check on her boyfriend who had just come home from work. She was getting tired too. Good thing we had coffee with our meal to give her some pep for the drive home. After she left I fired up my laptop to check on e-mail. I saw another friend up past his bedtime and allowed myself to be visible on IM. Within seconds, he was typing and signaled to get my attention. Forty-five minutes later we agreed to say goodbye until the morning. The standing conclusion? All men are 12 years old inside. (Chuckling.) It would be closer to 2pm before I could sleep.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: