Saturday, January 20, 2007

Salon Saturday

My hair appointments are usually in the morning and not at 2PM like it was today. You get what you get when you make your appointment at the last minute. Michelle, my hairdresser, didn't mind. She said she missed me over the holidays.

Kristey was the one who recommended her over a year ago and I've been happier ever since. Changing hairdressers is much like breaking off a serious relationship; it is an emotional ordeal. For ten years, I had a relationship with my male hairdresser that lasted through about six jobs for me and five salons for him.

It wasn't until our last year that he really started working on my nerve. I don't know if he was always insensitive or had developed an insensitivity with his last boytoy. Whatever it was I was fed up. His comments to me and about some of the people we both knew were reprehensible. I knew the one thing he hated was not having closure so I didn't give it to him. I never showed up for my last appointment with him, ignored his calls, ignored his queries through my other friends who went to him in the weeks that came and just stopped talking to him altogether.

Michelle was starting to fall into this break-up category the latter part of last year. She was consumed with her husband's infidelity, but still wanted him and was willing to take him back if he would just admit to the affair that he so stubbornly denied even with blatant evidence in their home. Kristey and another lady we knew were ready to jump ship, but like loyal girlfriends, we all stayed. Her divorce was final two months ago and she seems to have eased into a less intense obsession with her ex-husband. Thank goddess. I have to sit in her chair for three hours for a cut and color!

My secret about Michelle is that she reminds me of my late mother. I was so stunned the first time I saw her. The likeness was uncanny. My mother was Filpina and Michelle is Korean, go figure. (Contrary to popular belief, not all Asians look the same.) She enjoys making people look and feel beautiful. I, for one, am never disappointed at the results.

If Michelle really worked my nerve, I think I would stay simply because she makes me feel like a kid again. We joke endlessly and talk about the Asian part of our life. We have an understanding of things and how to appreciate the good the comes in our lives. We each have had our own bittersweet memories, but we know that laughing can make it better not to mention a good salon trip. Even if you feel like crap, at least you'll look like a million bucks.

As Fernando says from SNL, "It's better to look good than to feel good, dahling. You look mahvelous!"
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: