Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Hypnos, Morpheus and Me

Strange relationships have been a staple in this Asian Goddess' life but no stranger than her relationship with Hypnos, the god of sleep and Morpheus, the god of dreams.

Hypnos and I just can't get along. I live on about four hours of sleep a night and have been doing so since I was a teenager. My body does surrender on the weekends when I have nothing planned. I sleep seemingly endlessly where time doesn't exist and before I know it dusk has fallen.

I recall during summer vacations where I would end up sleeping long hours during the day and be awake all night. My own circadian rhythm wreaking havoc on my person thus creating a vampirelike existence. I enjoyed it because it was quiet at night. Humans were quiet and I couldn't hear their collective thoughts.

Hypnos steals my mind during the day at work. It's being awake, but watching the day go by and being aware that you are responding to the day properly but not quite being present because you are not where you want to be or doing what your heartsong is demanding you honor by not letting the music die within you.

Morpheus is the little devil who haunts me when I do sleep. He teases me with bizarre stories and precognitive scenes. Because of this, I experience more deja-vu than anyone I know. He needs to leave me alone more or I'll have to drink more wine to induce a longer sleep so he won't. I just can't do that either so Hypnos and Morpheus win again.

The only time Hypnos gets somewhat violent is when I refuse him and my body begins to sicken starting at my stomach and I know I must comply with his will. The more I refuse, the more my body pains and I just have to succumb...

Yummy is five hours ahead of me. I am selfish with his time, he needs to take the "outs" I give him otherwise he will not get the sleep his body and mind require to function. If he refuses like I do, Hypnos may start to play with him, too. I wouldn't want that since he is so yummy when he is awake. Maybe I am his substitute Hypnos? I just love to hear and really listen his voice; it soothes me something fiercer than any enticements Morpheus would tease me with before sleep.

Some say you can sleep when you're dead. Some need seven to eight hours of solid sleep to function. Some just need a "power nap" during the day to get by. I just need to sleep.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: