Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Day

Greeted the New Year under a tequila haze. Answered a call from Trish from San Francisco about 15 past midnight. She and Dave were waiting outside for a cab to arrive to take them to their New Year's Eve destination (a member's house from the Karaoke Mafia? -- I can't explain it either.) Trish made a mental note never to call me under a tequila influence...something about being extra chatty and giggly. Heh.

My dog decided to wake me up 30 minutes before I had set the alarm this morning. We went outside in the cool dark fog and he didn't even do anything. He just wanted some attention and God forbid his mistress was trying to get some friggin' sleep! Grrr... I couldn't get back to sleep at all. Mentally began to get myself ready for my annual New Year's pilgrimage to the bookstore.

Today's agenda would be slightly different. I set aside my routine and accepted a text message invite from Lisa (and her adorable daughter Anna) to take me out to lunch. Her husband had taken their son to a major college football game in town for the day...

I chose a family restaurant next to my bookstore for convenience's sake. My parking worries at both locations were for naught. As I approached the restaurant from parking at the bookstore, something made me look down and saw a penny. When I stooped down to pick it up for luck, there wasn't just one or two or three...six pennies* total! Lucky AGOL on New Year's Day. I thought the wait to be seated would be long, but it was only 10 minutes and a booth, too. Took out some note cards that had to be written while I waited for Lisa and Anna Banana.

Anna being silly while I tried to take her picture.


I loved this mother and daughter shot.


Gonna get you, girl!


Full from lunch, we made our way to Border's so we could all get something. I picked two hardcover books and a small magazine right away while Anna spent about 20 minutes picking out a Disney book until her mom put a stop to her vacillation from one thing to the next. The store wasn't too crowded, but busy enough. Soon the girlies left me to my normal New Year's Day agenda.

Bought a mocha coffee to sip while I sat in the cafe. As if by magic, a table next to a window (and electrical outlet) became available when I was ready. (Could this be the New Year's miracle?) I happily set up my laptop and newly purchased treasures. Spent time cleaning up the drafts of my blog entries before publishing, surfed the 'net and read bits of my new books. By 5pm, I was properly relaxed and felt really great. Left for home and a blessedly quiet evening. Hooray!


*Researched this six penny thing which later made me think of the term sixpence and the group named for the same thing Sixpence None the Richer. Saw this and laughed....and laughed...and laughed. Okay...laughed inwardly because that would've attracted attention at the bookstore.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: