Saturday, January 19, 2008

Missing in AGOL Land -- Part Two

Where I am going...

(As I type, I am listening to John Legend's new Live from Philadelphia CD. The man can really sing! One of the few male voices I enjoy listening to lately.)

Drove home in the rain tonight after spending time with my family in Brandon celebrating my birthday. Food and the whole brood were a good combo as were the presents and cake. As much as I was trying to avoid more celebrations, I did enjoy myself. Why am I such a curmudgeon?

If you've been following me, you know that I am training for sprints/partial triathlons. Yesterday, Rob (the Trainer) mentioned that he could see me doing a different event in April. That is only three months away...I dunno. My words to him were: You have so much confidence when I am here on the floor trying to find crumbs of what you see. Rob sees our teamwork of my motivation and his direction working successfully together. Luckily for me there are several events around Florida I can go for if that one doesn't pan out.

Serendipity always hits me...Last Saturday, I tried watching a certain show but my reception sucked that afternoon. (I choose not to have cable because I don't want to invest in that kind of time in front of the TV.) My next channel selection was just in time for the XTERRA in Nevada which is an extreme triathlon in a cold lake, mountain biking and mountain/wooded area running. My eyes were glued to the show for the next hour. My God. These people were insane! I felt excitement. At the end they showed the different age groups and a spectrum of ages up to 60+ were participating.

Rob brought me his copy of Triathlete which is featuring a Beginner's Edition to add to my slow growing mountain of things to study. I am finding that it is necessary to really get into this training by devouring related information. It just helps to put you in the zone.

One thing I dislike is any man telling me what to do. The only exception is my boss because he is my boss. Maybe it is a backlash against my military upbringing? It is a love/hate kind of thing. I like it when a man is in control but I don't like it when he tries to exert certain kind control over me. He's in for a verbal emasculation that eunuchs would cringe at hearing. Men never expect it from the seemingly gentle and soft spoken AGOL.

I enjoy making a man feel like a man as I enjoy being a woman. When we encounter a snag in communication because I don't speak You Tarzan, Me Jane, it is always a surprise for them. For the first time in a long time, I am letting a man tell* me what to do. Here's an IM conversation with Rob on Friday:

Rob the Trainer says (3:53 PM):
saturday... get 45 minutes mixed machines or walking..
Sarah says (3:53 PM):
k
Rob the Trainer says (3:53 PM):
and I mean.. sweat.. none of that easy bs
Sarah says (3:53 PM):
yes, m
Rob the Trainer says (3:54 PM):
then we will put a week plan together on Monday.
Rob the Trainer says (3:54 PM):
make sure you are drinking 2 litres water every day
Sarah says (3:54 PM):
jeezus
Rob the Trainer says (3:54 PM):
I know...
Sarah says (3:54 PM):
okay, i will do
Rob the Trainer says (3:54 PM):
you'll want to start ramping up...
Rob the Trainer says (3:55 PM):
go to grocery store.. buy 2 or 4 bottles (I like the Smartwater 1 liter bottles)
Sarah says (3:55 PM):
k
Sarah says (3:55 PM):
smart water?
Sarah says (3:55 PM):
what does it look like?
Rob the Trainer says (3:55 PM):
you can refill them as long as you have a filter (I expect you have a britta)
Sarah says (3:55 PM):
no, i can get one. i have the faucet thingy but it is working my nerve
Rob the Trainer says (3:56 PM):
http://www.aquamaestro.com/innerview.asp?catid=39
Sarah says (3:56 PM):
i c
Rob the Trainer says (3:56 PM):
and you will want to (1 a week) put a capful of bleach in a 1/4 cup water and pour in.. shake.. pour to next bottle.. let sit 5 minutes.. then rinse well
Rob the Trainer says (3:57 PM):
grocery store has them I like the size...
Rob the Trainer says (3:57 PM):
1 liter
Sarah says (3:57 PM):
k i will get
Sarah says (3:57 PM):
and pee like a mofo
Sarah says (3:57 PM):
may have to start marking my territory like my dog does around the complex
Rob the Trainer says (3:57 PM):
yup.. thats what we want..
Rob the Trainer says (3:58 PM):
we need to get you a little over hydrated..
Rob the Trainer says (3:58 PM):
because we are gonna tax you..

Hmmm. My geeky side is enjoying the clear and concise instructions, but is afraid of the last line in that slice of conversation. I didn't add his instructions for my running shoes. He wants me to get properly fitted at a certain store. Did I mention Rob had a stint in the military? He delivers things in a very familiar (and oddly comforting) tone. It makes me want to respond like this: Yes, Sir. Right away, Sir. How high, Sir and would you like some fries with that, Sir? All said with a smile, too.

..................................................
*Telling me what to do vs. suggesting something are two different things. The former exerts the person's will while the latter is merely expressing opinions based on the person's will. A set menu vs a buffet? I don't mind if a man gives me choices, but to tell me what to do from the get go is not attractive. Although in a certain scenario behind closed doors, that could be attractive. You have to be the right person for that. I apologize if the whole thing does not make sense. It is 2:12am when I have added this footnote.

.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: