Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Good/Bad Vibes

It's been a tough start to work this week with the influx of e-mails I've been trying to answer from the company announcement resent to 1800 employees. Luckily, only about 200+ have responded with updates. Launching a new company-wide program is always tricky and this was mine. Even with all this work, I had been feeling good vibes which carried outwardly with smiles and teasing until my boss dropped the bomb that had been looming and held at bay for months. My group is now set to move to the other corporate tower about a mile up the road mid-February (still next to the gorgeous mall behind us). Aargh.

Our SVP wants most of the accounting/finance department in one building. The vibe of this building is flat and draining. You feel like slitting your wrists just to avoid parking in the convoluted parking garage servicing two corporate towers next to each other. Both are newer buildings than mine, but still. What's worse? The sucky network connectivity and the people working in the building. I consider these people work family since we are in the same department, but we are by no means kissing cousins. Yuk. I am going to be away from my own work entourage. Can an AGOL survive without her own work entourage? Who knows... Most of these friends are friends out of work, too; I doubt we will miss each other with the activities we participate in.

My poor boss drove us over to pick out our much bigger and more private cubicles. He was trying to put a positive spin on the visit by having us visit the gym downstairs to see their offerings, walk around our floor for small things like break room, restroom, etc. All I know is that some serious feng shui will have to be done. Sketching the plan out now.

When I arrived back at my current desk, I was really down....and that only after less than an hour's visit! The new AGOL catnip, Vanilla Lime, couldn't cheer me. Oh -- did I mention my temp picked the cube next to mine instead of Bridget's? Just as well. She'll live longer. Bridget has lost patience.

Zoomed home to take care of my doggie and change into comfy clothes before heading over to Tawny and Jeff's for dinner with their boys. I had urged her to start without me since worked kept me a bit. My drink glass was already filled when I arrived and Tawny remembered to add a straw. That tickled me. What followed was an evening of no holds barred conversation of the most vile nature. I'm surprised the neighbors didn't knock on the door and tell us to keep it down. Much needed belly laughter that's for sure. Good vibes restored.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: