Saturday, January 05, 2008

Perfect Shade of Lipstick

Should I alert the media that this AGOL is in Search for the Perfect Shade of Lipstick? This can be both an exciting and a traumatizing experience depending on how my luck holds. My favorite lip shade has been discontinued and my last tube is almost gone bringing on an ACM (AGOL Crisis Moment). Welcome to the booming town of Shallowville, my lovelies.

Fate led me to finding this line on a new blog I read tonight: Besame Cosmetics. Besame Red and definitely Merlot seem to be good AGOL options. Gaze and admire their gold bullet case with their signature chrysanthemums (see pic below). I dig its retro feel. Click on the About section of their site and you will find this tidbit on the Besame name's origin. I have always loved this song and have associated it with my mother for some reason and (lately) an incident last spring*.

(Thank you Amazon.com for borrowing their pic.)


I am known for my perfect make-up application especially when it comes to lipstick/lip gloss. I get questions from friends and other women I encounter at shops or on the street. (Recently Bridget just bought the same kind of Sephora lip gloss and will be trying out liquid liner that she sees me in everyday.) Because I have oily skin and live in a tropical climate, I have chosen BareEscentuals by BareMinerals as my main make-up line. Minimum make-up for me is a few coats of mascara, a tinge of blush and a lip color on weekends unless there is a real life crisis. More bare than that? A lip color. Full make-up without lip color looks unfinished and leaving the house bare without a lip color is just plain lazy. There is something meditative about applying lip color...

You don't need make-up to outwardly affirm your femininity, but I deeply feel it is integral to inwardly affirm to yourself by this external expression. Huh? I know I am a woman, but I enjoy the accouterments that come with being one (fun make-up, funky jewelry, Imelda shoes and sexy lingerie). When WWII was going on, women traded things for make-up and they valued it like prized jewels because of the scarcity. Women have used make-up to attract others or just make themselves feel good. I use make-up for me. I like what I am saying to myself about how I value me enough to buy the items and take the time to apply them. Does that make sense?

My friend Dianne finally got it and mentioned it to me the last time we were together. It is easy to get lost in the day-to-day stuff because it takes over. She used to think it was a complete waste of time and she felt like she was doing it just to please her husband. I told her to not do it for him, but to do it for her. Imagine how much easier it is now for Dianne to include make-up as a part of getting ready in the morning. All it takes is a pivot in attitude (and a make-up lesson from Sprinkles).

You may not be a glam queen or aspiring pin-up model. Maybe you're just not into make-up because you're allergic, never had anyone show you or you have an impressive collection of Birkenstocks? Lez be friends, girls! You can still enjoy a smidgen of color by Burt's Bees from their lip shimmers and gloss line. The old matron ChapStick has their own line of naturals to help your lips from looking cracked and unhealthy. Ewww and Ouch! Besides that condition hurts like a mutha. Swoosh something on your lips, will ya? Do it for your inner goddess.

.................
*I can't quite decide if this is pathetic and/or sick to share: MEBFKAY and I did the Queen's Walk along the Thames last May. When we strolled under a bridge, we encountered a man with an accordion playing "Besame Mucho". We stopped and kissed. Very romantic moment. It was very Parisian like, I thought... Okay neither sick or pathetic. It is what is -- sweet. I guess enough time has passed where I can share with detachment.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: