Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Headphones for a Jewess

I decided to shut the world out to get more work done. With my noise canceling headphones piping in my new John Legend CD, I was able to just concentrate on answering e-mails and be in my own little world. Bit of heaven? That maybe overstating it.

For some reason with a resolve such as this, the world still begs and pleads like a spoiled child for attention. I couldn't shut people out. Listened to people's problems both personal and work related. My boss interrupted with questions he could have instant messaged me, but he's used to getting up and asking me things all day. Sigh. I was faring better than Tawny and Bridget who were having a really bad day. Poor girlies.

During my lunch hour, I had the rare treat to talk to my fellow gypsy-hearted friend. She is Jewish and we had a nice discussion on the Jewish culture. Judaism would be a religion I could easily and formally convert to. God knows I have the perfect last name for it at the moment. With my birth name (different from current adopted name), I believe that my German American side would reveal some Jewish connections as well. German-Filipino...I won't start -- there is just too much material in that to cover today. Ha!

[Did I mention I received a Waterford Crystal dreidel for Christmas this year? Someone always buys me a dreidel every year. It's kinda like a "we have faith that you're part Jewish and didn't want that side to be slighted so we got you something". Cracks me up.]

Anyhoo...I was sharing with her that one of my instructors in high school mentioned that Jews would choose jobs they could take anywhere. If you're a doctor, you can be a doctor anywhere. If you're an attorney, you can be that anywhere. The Jews would also be encouraged to keep money in the form of diamonds and gold because they were portable. You may have heard that Jews have been forced to move around unexpectedly during history...?

My friend said that her father gave her jewelry when she was much younger and told her that she would have money if she needed it. She didn't realize the implications until she was very much an adult. My words to her were interesting. She'd heard them before, but not from a non-Jewish perspective. Of course, we talked about the wine. I love a little Morgan David...Okay, a lot....a coupla bottles. Haven't been to temple in a very long time. Perhaps I am due.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: