Monday, January 07, 2008

Healthy Hoe-Down

The Healthy Hoe-Down at work is underway. Tawny is taking more vitamins, eating tangerines for breakfast and may hop on her treadmill at home. Lisa is exercising at lunch. Bridget started eating better and will resume her rollerskating with the derby girls as soon as her doctor clears her. Our boss stocked his office fridge with healthy food, snacks and vitamin water to combat his recent high cholesterol report. I am trying to get it in gear; the real kicking will begin in two weeks. We're monitoring each other and giving encouragement which will help motivation.

Rob asked me if I got on (any kind of) machine yesterday and I may have said no a bit defiantly. He replied, Okay. I guess we will have to draw out a schedule for you. Did I detect both disappointment and the merest hint of sadistic glee? Hmmm... He later asked me if I was getting scared. Scared? Was he f'g kidding me? Uh...um...no. I told you it was going to get more undignified.

Of course...Yours truly was trying to be a bad-ass by showing off some research. I asked him if I should get a comfort bike or a hybrid kind and that I didn't want to spend more than $500 to start. He said I could get an affordable comfort bike. I searched on a popular sporting goods store online; I couldn't find what he recommended: Women's Trek 7.2 FX WSD so I asked where I would be getting it. I was told, No, you're getting it at Oliver's. His favorite bike shop is a few miles up the road from me. They can give me the right size frame and fit the bike to me. Can you believe it? If I want to start playing with the big boys (in this sport - ha!) I have to get properly geared out. Jeezus. Pretty soon, I will be wearing my own disco kit*.


*Rob's term for flashy overdressed/geared cyclists on the road. FYI - Lance Armstrong has not worn a disco kit. AGOL might wear one though. Why be boring?
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: