Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Surrealism on Tuesday

The surrealism lacing today is difficult to explain. I was not going through the day in a fog but I felt a disconnect from it as if I were watching it from outside my body. I was present but I wasn't...I dunno.

My first moment at work was trying to get Bridget to remember a rocker from the Big Hair 80s period. I walked in and said to her Two words: Kip Winger. Bridget replied, Two words: Black Berry. She trumped me because I love geeky things. Her phone finally gave up its ghost yesterday and had to be replaced. The new toy was in red and we ooh'd and aah'd over it before our boss came in and unloaded a bit. He was out of sorts because his 18 year old cat may have to be put down this week and he'd been arguing with his wife. My boss is a very nice man, too nice sometimes. I will leave it at that.

My boss informed me that I would be manning our fort almost by myself today as he had to leave early, Bridget had a dentist appointment and our temp had to leave for an appointment, too. Fine with me. I was leaving earlier than my time to go to Happy Hour with the guys. See how that works out? Ha.

Lunch was with most of my Asian mafia in a companionable tone. We laughed and shared stories about growing up or our first real experiences living in a Caucasian/American world. The cultural differences were a source of fun and embarrassment at our cultural misunderstandings.

Did I mention that my temp was beginning her birthday campaign? Her birthday isn't until two weeks from now. She thinks she is being sly mentioning places to go and her desires for a cake. (Rolling my eyes!) I may have to break down and tell her how tacky it is do the whole campaign thing. Don't you agree? Ticky tacky.

Our financial application upgrade didn't go so smoothly over the weekend. Little problems here and there were surfacing as we worked through it. Last night I had volunteered to assist them in more testing in case they needed it. I am mentioning this more for Tawny who is out of town. She needs to be informed that a certain cocky Norwegian with a ridiculously gargantuan corner office wasn't very happy. How can I tell for sure? I can't. He has one facial expression.

Happy hour was interesting with a little more than a handful of us. Bridget ended up driving her mom to the E/R for pain so we didn't see her after her dental appointment. A very attractive lady in our building agreed to come and join us. She made it a point to discuss it with me. The news of it spread like wildfire and caused some more guys to attend. (Another rolling of my eyes!) I sat next to my gay buddy John where we could cause mischief, Dan sat opposite us and the seat to the left of me kept being occupied by different people in our group. Man! One large martini and your AGOL was in orbit. A bit of food wasn't enough; a venti Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks perked me up during my (thankfully rainless!) drive home. So there.

.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: