Saturday, July 19, 2008

Possible Lightbulb Moment

Exhausted from the past two weeks and most recently from a cold, I guzzled coffee down to jump start my body on the way to see my hairstylist for a late morning appointment. She is always glad to see me as I am normally in a playful mood to make her laugh. I had doubts of my own powers this morning, but it came as soon as walked in.
Michelle: Go change into a gown darling...
AGOL: What you got designer now? Good because you know I am not cheap!
This made her laugh because she wasn't expecting it. My visit went insane from there. I can be quite the showgirl (as opposed to showman) without too much effort. She bragged on me to a lady whose hair was processing as Michelle touched up my roots. I told about the layoffs and the lady mentioned that her husband had gotten laid off. He has an extra hobby that they are trying to launch into a viable income.

For the most part helping people and giving ideas are a natural part of me. She described their business and when she contacts me, I will provide a link to her husband's uniquely handcrafted recycled glass art. Anyhoo ...before I knew it I was giving her some simple and free or low cost marketing ideas and online links. I explained about blogs and cross-referencing multiple sites. She became really excited. Right before she left, I gave her one more idea. Where do I get that? I said that she'd have to e-mail me from my blog... In the back of my mind, I had a lightbulb moment. What if I could parlay this into a side gig? I am a compendium of online knowledge and I am too creative for my own good with enough smarts to generate ideas. WOW! (KH, if you're reading this...I have more ideas already!)

My attention was diverted back to Michelle. We caught up on each others lives in detail and soon she was washing my hair of the colorant she had applied 30 minutes before. The devilish side of me was in full force as she began to cut my hair. I began to tell her about a recent sex partner and how he was good enough to trim his nether regions which is a requirement for me. Why? As much as I love giving a man special attention, I don't relish doing double duty of flossing my teeth at the same time. I know dental hygiene is important, but damn. OMG -- Michelle had never heard of such a thing. She died laughing and had to step away. Very quickly she was snorting and screaming laughing. She had to sit down. I have gotten her laughing pretty hard but never to this degree. Good thing it was just as two in the salon at that particular moment. There's more, but I can't share online to protect that person.

Oh gosh...Michelle would get herself under control and then burst out in the middle of styling my hair. She worried that she would lose control during a formal dinner outing that evening and during an intimate moment with her boyfriend who did take her hint/advice of doing the same thing before they ever became intimate... A long-time female client of hers walked in and she made me explain to her what made her laugh so much. I asked the lady if it was okay to explain since it was sexual in nature. You have to get an idea of people's comfort level first and permission before telling certain jokes, you know. I then explained it in such a manner that was innuendo instead of the crude way Michelle and I were discussing it. The woman was well in her 40s but she still had the grace to blush. I guess Michelle and I are a little too comfortable with the subject. It was a good diversion for all and sent Michelle into more gales of laughter.

With my hair a brilliant fire in the sun, I drove to get some dog food/treats for Cabal and sundry items for me. After I had been home a while, there was a commotion outside my apartment door. It was my neighbor moving out. She and her girlfriend had broken up months before. Unable to break the expensive lease, she's been toughing it out to keep living here. She was leaving after two years. This was sad because my upstairs neighbor was moving out, too, after five years. The upstairs gal was frustrated at getting things remedied within her apartment. Of course, she isn't assertive like me when it comes to such things. Where she is passive, I require a status report and call regularly. Hey, I am paying for that service. I have since had a wall in the bathroom replaced and received a new dishwasher. Still...I've been here for a little over three years. Maybe I should move, too? It is too expensive and too much an undertaking with all my stuff.

The evening had me puttering around my apartment while thinking of the marketing moment earlier. I see many artists and when I see them, my mind is already generating ideas for them on who they can get maximum exposure... I guess I am still working on that part of finding my bliss. The idea that you enjoy doing something so much, you would do it for free. My dilemma? I have too many things I would do for free. Um..no...not that unique flossing bit...not commercially anyway. Wink.

.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: