Thursday, July 03, 2008

Meeting of the Minds

Drat! I was missing a tool I needed for a design today. Apparently it wasn't important enough to go out and get at that particular moment. Maybe tomorrow.

I called Tawny later in the afternoon and got invited for an evening in the Latin District next to downtown Tampa. It has a portion that is trying to be like the French Quarter in New Orleans, but fails to meet the mark. I've been to New Orleans and it is no New Orleans. Ours is in the middle of getting too modernized while suffering from an identity crisis. Soon it will have an IKEA in its midst. (I love love love IKEA!)

We picked up our friend and coworker John first before heading to Rosemary's condo. I forgot Rosemary's English hubby was recently retired so when I saw him I was surprised. He has taken to gardening in their patio and he is looking forward to setting up his own smoothie and juice bar in the building they are all trying to secure.

I loved hearing about their ideas and plans. My part is a supporting one in that I cannot necessarily donate money for start up costs, but later I will rent a space in the building to display/sell what art I come up with in the next several months. Why not? I will also donate a week of my vacation time to help clear it up and get it ready. More on this as it develops. The possibilities for this space are incredible and it is definitely community centric, but most of all, it is a very positive thing for the area. It's time for the sublime!

After talking things over and drinking some very delicious wine while eating some snacks, we decided to walk around the area. An international bazaar was moving and had their stuff on sale. We all got something. I bought a big tassel thing to hang somewhere and three sequined bracelets in red, black and purplish pink. Tawny's husband Jeff bought me a fabric wastebasket in light pink with varying colors of dragonflies embroidered on it. It was a nice souvenir for the evening as he says. Tawny took home too many things to mention. Ha. John bought a ton of glycerin soap. Rosemary received a free wizard/magician marionette from the owner for all her help in promoting him during the walking tours she conducts for the city.

By the time we drove home, I was quite tired. It was worth the outing with a group of incredibly talented and creative people. Sometimes I tend to underestimate my own creativity until I find things in my (newly named!) Imagination Room from months even years previous of prototype designs mashed in sketch books. I found some recently colored in pastels which threw me for a loop. You just never know...


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: