Friday, July 18, 2008

Happy Friday Anyway

Bitchy greeted me at work. It would seem that Bridget's disgruntled feelings at home had bled into her gripes at work. She was being rather petulant and complained about being bored at work and not liking some of the work she was doing. This was said after she had just finished enumerating her displeasure with her live-in boyfriend and the fact she missed her son who was visiting his father in another state. Incensed, I carefully chose my words and delivered them looking her in the eye: I wouldn't say those words too loud in light of the fact that almost 300 people were just let go. If you want to say those words, you'd better have a back-up plan already. I think she felt a bit shamed, but being stubborn she held her ground. Whatever.

On the other hand, my boss was glad to see me and stopped by my desk to go over things. The temp was chatty to me, too. She was left yesterday with only Bridget who had no kindness for her. She was trying to engage me in a longer conversation, but my cold wasn't allowing me patience. Damn -- my sides hurt from coughing and sneezing yesterday.

One of the gal's husband in my Asian mafia picked us up for lunch at the Korean restaurant. We met a Vietnamese couple there; I'd met the wife before. Bridget was the only non-Asian at the table. It would be her first foray into Korean cuisine. Through her association with me, she has expanded her Asian palate from Chinese Takeout. She always welcomes new experiences... During the lunch, they determined I looked Chinese, but in the end decided that I just looked exotic since they felt I didn't look half Filipino. This stuff cracks me up.

Our boss dismissed our group earlier than normal because our financial software was being upgraded over the weekend. I stayed anyway because I arrive later and I did have things to keep me occupied. Compared to my normal schedule, I left almost two hours earlier.

Sidestepping rush hour traffic was great. I used my stealth (ha!) driving skills to drive side streets to get through downtown Tampa and pick up the toll road. I was on my way to my aunt and uncle's house. My cousin's kiddies Kristen and Carter were staying the night with their grandparents. When I arrived, the group were playing Wii and Wii Fit that my aunt and uncle had bought. These toys were a testament of them being young at heart even in their 60s.

Kristen surprised me during my visit. I was teasing her younger brother with an activity that I specifically do with them, but hadn't done in a very long time. She asked why I hadn't done that at their home the last time I saw them. My response was that I didn't want to embarrass them in front of their friends. Kristen reminded me that activity was expected of me regardless of their friends being present. I guess I have been kind of standoffish with them and not intentionally. Through extra hugs, kisses and positive reinforcement, I reassured them of how much I love them. Normally, I am very affectionate and easy in giving it. I guess I have been missing giving it to them.

Drove home with Angie in my ear and me giving her the lowdown of my visit at her parent's. Cabal and a mountain of laundry were waiting for me. It was a happy ending to nervy week. I have an appointment to get my hair cut and colored tomorrow. Woohoo! I also remembered to register for two cooking skills classes, one for Sunday and one for next Saturday. Next month, I will only have time to be a volunteer as an assistant instead of paying to attend. I can't wait!
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: