Monday, July 21, 2008

Admiring Argentina

Outdoor steam bath...at 6:30am no less! Ugh. Welcome to summer in Florida. It's not yet at its zenith either. We still have to get through August and September...

Before I left for work, I was able to catch an e-mail from my Canadian friend Romy. She did an incredible thing by arranging pictures from her recent Argentinian vacation into a PowerPoint presentation complete with introduction and captions not to mention an overall theme, Argentinian flag and map. It was the most creative photo album I have ever received. (It is usually my job to create them for others.) To be fair, her husband Toby took the gorgeous shots and she supplied the words.

I have always wanted to go to Argentina, but I have never had the opportunity so I resorted to begging her for pictures before her trip. What I received today was more than expected. I am sharing just a small part of the whole thing with her permission. Romy's lovely descriptions are in italics:

Their first week was in Mendoza (near the Chilean border) where they toured surrounding mountains and wine estates.

The ruins of a hot spring partially destroyed by a landslide.



One of a few "Sprinkles" shots. The AGOL sphere of influence knows no bounds!:
One restaurant had a huge wood burning oven where they prepared all the meat. A specialty dessert was “burnt” fruit also prepared in the oven and topped with vanilla ice cream.


Second Week:
View from living room window in their apartment rental in Palermo in Buenos Aires.


A beautiful apartment building.


AGOL Favorite: An angel at Recoleta Cemetery where Argentina’s elite are buried. Eva Peron is buried there but her burial was considered controversial because she was viewed as “common” by the riches.


Colourful fisherman's houses in the working class section of Buenos Aires called Boca where Maradona grew up and where the tango was born.


I made sure to thank her after my second viewing at work. Maybe I've peeked at it more times than I should during the day. I can't help it -- I just love it! Thank you Romy and Toby. xo

.................

Reality occurred in the very mundane way of things at work in between album viewings. Eh, it was Monday. I drove through monsoons on the way home. At this rate, most everyone will be cutting their lawn twice a week. No drought here... I spent most of my evening talking to my old chum John who was driving from Louisiana to Texas. What do they say about preacher's kids? It is true... Oddly enough as I type, Evita's theme is running through my head. Don't yawn for me Argentina...Ah, right.


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: