Saturday, February 24, 2007

Tip-Tacky-Ho

My weekends are becoming decompression sessions from my escalating workload. Twice-daily chats with Yummy over Skype are definitely part of the sessions and badly needed. It is like going to the doctor for good meds....only better!

A section of my day consisted of going to get my nails done. Taking off the Hookerella Pink for a French manicure was definitely on the agenda.

So here's the story...While I was having my nails done, I watched as this lady's daughter who maybe was six years old meandered all over the salon. Later the same girl had her toes painted for free by her mother's nail tech as a treat.

It came time for the lady to pay for the services performed (fill-in manicure, spa pedicure and eyebrow wax). Now this place is a small neighborhood salon run by Vietnamese and this is Florida...It came to only $56. The guy asked if she wanted to tip on her credit card and she said yes and to add $6. I almost died! Before I knew it, the manager, who was filling my nails started to speak Vietnamese and a rolling twitter made its way around the salon. I knew what it meant. They were talking about the lady.

The workers in this salon are very professional, very friendly, quick and do a wonderful job even better than a lot of the higher end spas around town. The service they provide is worth every penny and more. It is not easy finding a place that does nails well for near nothing. The very least we can do as patrons is tip them well since it reflects on how we feel about the services performed. It is all about respecting them and their skills.

Hats off to the people who work in any service industry because that lady would've worked my last nerve. In this intance, the line in the movie, "A Walk in the Clouds" sums it for me: "Just because I speak with an accent doesn't mean I think with an accent."

Yummy had his AGOL Nail 101 lesson furthered by the explanation of this whole thing. Poor baby...He really tries and may I say he does a great job of understanding and already knowing what a French mani was before I told him -- white tips and the rest painted pink. He was indeed correct!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: