Saturday, February 10, 2007

Sweet, Salty Nuts of Life

Stresses of the week must have gotten to me since I ended up waking up later. Of course, Pretty Boy Dog had no problem reminding me. It wasn't the alarm I had silenced 30 minutes earlier that woke me, but his whining. I will do anything to stop the whining...any whining for that matter. Ugh.

The thing that kills me every time when we finally go out for his first morning walk is that he switches moods; he is immediately happy and ready to sniff and leave his mark at every possible point along the way. When we return inside the apartment, he goes back to whining but this time for his breakfast. He gets his breakfast and back to whining for play time. It is my fault for spoiling him, but geez can he be a pest with his long nose hitting you on your arm or on your leg. Guess who the boss is of this relationship?

I was still wiping the sleep from my eyes when I talked to Yummy. Of course, he's already visited a French bakery and eaten a nice breakfast. Too bad he couldn't have beamed some over for me...Later in the morning, Kristey returned my call from Thursday so we caught up on each other's stuff which was good. I miss her; we're still planning that outing at the Tiki Bar near her home...I am laying low this weekend since the following week will be hectic especially when my temp goes for her surgery. Not looking forward to the extra workload.

Talked with Yummy in the late afternoon before he nodded off for the evening in his timezone. This time he was eating some salty nut mix of cashews and peanuts. It sounded really good. Started talking about Filipino street food and how when I was a young girl in the Philippines, I would buy fried peanuts that still had the red skin on them. The vendors would usually add crushed whole garlic to the oil so it would be marvelously infused. They would also put your serving in a small brown paper bag and salt it -- you could add additional spicy hot oil if you wanted. The brown bag would begin to absorb the oil, but at that point you wouldn't care if your fingers were oily since the peanuts were so good.

I decided to go and run some errands at night like filling up my car with gasoline for the week. Wouldn't you know it -- I found myself in the endcap with the selection of nuts. Talk about the power of suggestion. A package of sweet, salty cashews made its way to my hand. I crunched on the way to the grocery store where I needed to get laundry detergent. Of course, a full cart of groceries later, I made it home around 10:35pm to put the stuff away and eat a late dinner. Now that's nuts!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: