Thursday, February 01, 2007

Poison Control

My phone was beeping a little after 11AM when I got back to my desk from getting more coffee. It was a voice mail from my San Francisco friend Trisha. I could barely make out what she said, but she didn't sound good at all. I could bits of 'can't get to computer', 'overdosing' and for me to call her back. I did and had to leave her a worried voice mail.

She finally got me on the line several minutes later and she explained to me that she had not been feeling well and miscalculated the dosage on some over-the-counter drug she had been taking (teaspoons vs. tablespoons). Her body had been rejecting the meds so she felt like a freight train had run her over. She asked me to look up the generic name of the drug and to see what measures could be taken to reverse or lessen her discomfort without calling 911. I did and ended up giving her the phone number to the national Poison Control Center.

Several minutes later, I get a text that said 'PCC says im gonna will live'. I waited for more but got nothing immediately. Trisha then turned it into a joke and texted, 'Why wasn't it w/a fun drug'...and then 'Kill my street cred...i O.D.'ed on 'tussin'. I was not that amused since I was very concerned and received the call instead of someone in her own city or immediate friendship band.

I should be used to this by now. Trisha has always been a little melodramatic since I met her in our Saks Fifth Avenue days in Chicago. She has been a great friend and its been recently that we've met up again via the Internet. I just take it and move on, but I am glad crisis was averted...until the next.

Yesterday my colleague was telling me what I should be doing. Keep your wannabe-supervisor actions to yourself! Tend to your own issues which are not so stellar, by the way! I decided to tune her out by putting on my noise-canceling headphones and playing a CD by Godsmack instead of my groovy John Mayer. She's so loud; I need to counterattack with the same volume and intensity.

This whole bit with my colleague galvanized me into action by me sending my resume to our boss this morning so he could see what I am capable of doing. We've all been trying to get our bearings in our new department and new responsibilities. I just don't need to be railroaded while we are trying to get on even footing. My boss did appreciate my e-mail note and the attached resume. He was going to ask for it soon anyway...

The evening found me learning about dragons in Sussex, England. Yummy and his best friend were investigating with maps, etc. the lore of dragons in the area for project they will be working on together. It reminded me of this bumper sticker, "Do Not Meddle In the Affairs of Dragons for You are Crunchy and Good with Ketchup". Hmm...Maybe I need more ketchup at work.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: