Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Blubbering

Ovaries. I thought that having my ovaries gone would make me less emotional. Holy shit was I wrong! I've been blubbering for days on my anticipated hair loss about two weeks after I start chemotherapy. That's why I haven't posted...

After Nan's Tampa service, I hung out with my family two nights in a row. My cousin Angie even stayed the night before one of my doctor's appointments so she could accompany me the next day. I was proud to be able to introduce her to my new medical family as I was proud to introduce them to her. Moffitt Cancer Center is a Tier 1 facility and it showed. The best part of our visit with my surgeon was that he said I no longer had to have my wound vac attached to me. I was given free rein to shower when I wanted and not be tethered to an appliance designed to help me heal. The caveat was that my wound would need to be changed/redressed twice a day. I've been changing it myself now and have the home nurse coming in twice a week to check its progress.

My life has been mostly spent making numerous calls, making appointments and attending them. I picked up my first set of meds at the Center for my chemo aftercare. During the same day, I had a wig consult at the salon, a floor below. This was very rough and a harder pill to swallow. When I finally picked out a wig, it was $285 and is reimbursable by my insurance company thank God! It should come in the correct dark burgundy color next week and will be cut and styled to my liking once I go back to pick it up.

I still have some more head covering preparation to complete. In two weeks after my March 12th chemo appointment, I will have my head shaved. They still leave about 1/4 inch of hair, I think. We lose heat through our heads so I will have to get a cotton cap for sleeping and scarves for no wig days. This is the priciest chic site but the pre-tied design and color options are gorgeous. Here is what is coming in the mail: under Silk, find "Black and Bloom" and click on it to see it.

For every ONE chic website selling head coverings, there are 10 sites selling ugly versions. It is almost a crime. The things are so hideous you'd rather walk around bald! (Not me of course -- too vain. Hee.) Please buy our ugly things because you as a cancer patient don't feel bad enough -- you gotta show the world that you do. Sprinkles will be buying something from here and here. Researching all these sites have empowered me to meet inevitability. This is my way of dealing with it, but I still find myself crying throughout the day. I did remind my boss today during our call that we will have similar hair only my hair will grow back full. I laughed loud when I said it. He wasn't laughing as much.

Oh yes -- almost forgot. I had a doctor's appointment this morning with my primary care doctor for my legs which have swollen again. I left with a prescription for water pills, a bilateral prescription for an ultrasound on legs and an extension for returning to work. He felt that I needed more time. Honestly, I forget how extensive my surgery was almost two months ago.

I have the water pills which I will start taking tomorrow morning... One of a radiology company's branches had an opening today. The ultrasound hurt during the swipes and pressure on my upper inner thighs on both legs. Hearing my blood move around was really weird -- sounded like an alien. The doctor should receive results very quickly and advise course of action... My return-to-work date was set for March 15th and now it will be April 2nd. I am bummed that I will be missing work; however, I am relieved to have some time to deal with first chemo and the subsequent hair loss. My aunt is staying with me during my port installation (easier to draw blood and infuse chemo) next Thursday and overnight that night and for after my chemo on Friday. I just have to continue to follow the plan. Summer will be sweeter because these portions will be completed.

It is not all about chemo preparation and hair loss. In between blubbering and appointments, I had dinner and a movie at Tawny's last Friday and I had dinner tonight with Kimmee and her husband. I received a multitude of texts and calls today from my girlies. Been playing on facebook and again on twitter. There is also another blog I started. ("Can you find it?" asks your mysterious AGOL). I still feel I am the luckiest AGOL around.

Kisses,
S

PS I love Melody Gardot and I love love love this song. I bought her enchanting album today.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: