Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Holy...Happy

A beautiful red cloisonne rosary was presented to me by my cousin Angie from Suzanne, her LA roommate, when I arrived at my aunt's this afternoon. I loved it the moment I saw it. It was such a thoughtful gift that I am humbled by it.



.................

Everyone was home at my aunt's and had not yet changed into clothes befitting Nan's open viewing at the funeral home. I would have to wait a couple of hours for us to make our way. The first hour was dedicated to the family and another for everyone else -- in this case, her church family. It was a modest turnout for her Florida family. A bigger crowd is set for Baltimore where her casket is being flown tomorrow.

I won't go into the details of what happened at the viewing but suffice it to say it was a bit emotional but more than that -- it was filled with happy people who were safe in the knowledge that she is now with her Lord whom she never forgot in her life. Nan was presented gloriously in her silver casket. She looked like she was just sleeping and happy. The best part was seeing her great grandchildren (almost quietly) milling about the room and outside the building. They were happy to be with one another and gave comfort to those around them with their smiles and giggles. Nan would have been tickled to see them behave in a lively manner despite the circumstances that brought them together. She would have given them her ever present smile as she observed them.

Nan to me was the sweetest and kindest woman I have ever met in my life and in the world. She was indeed without guile and malice. Her life was dedicated to her family and to God. I remember she told me once that I had a sweet voice and that I would make a great nurse during those moments I spent time with her at my aunt's home. When she said these kind things I truly believed her. I will miss her presence and light.

Edna M. Fair
1914 - 2010





Love & Blessings,
Sprinkles xo
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: