Sunday, February 07, 2010

Papaya Goddess

Go on. Gaze at my Papaya Goddess as she raises her arms in front of the setting sun. Feel her power and admire her.



Around the time of my surgery was one of the coldest snaps in Florida history. Parts even had snow flurries in the darkest part of the morning which melted once it reached the ground. Our citrus industry as well as other fruits like strawberries were seriously threatened. Farmers worked hard to save their crops. About a third of the crops suffered casualties.

I emerged six days after my surgery to discover a land I didn't recognize painted with the dark beige of decay on grass, trees and shrubbery. A quick round by my apartment to pick up mail brought a large measure of dismay at the sight of decay that greeted Tawny and me as we drove through the gate entrance where lush greenery had once welcomed all who entered. It was the same in my aunt's neighborhood. Her own treasured fruit trees looked like they might never recover.

Weeks have passed and from the chair I spend most of my days watching television or snoozing from the narcotics, I can see my aunt's papaya tree that had been ravaged by the cold. It has metamorphosed into the picture I've shared with you. It appears to be a woman raising her arms with either triumph or outrage depending on how you feel at that particular moment. She is no longer a lush tree; however, she stands before the sun proud and unyielding just waiting for her chance to grow large branches of leaves to shield the eventual promise of blooming flowers that will peek underneath. With God's grace, she will live and bear fruit again. So go on -- gaze at her.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: