Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Back Home

We struck while the iron was still hot around noon. My bags were packed and my uncle was ready to take me back to my apartment so he could drive back and be with Nan at the nursing home. It all happened pretty quickly. By this time, my pain meds were gone; the refill hadn't been approved by my doctor. I had spent a good amount of time packing everything and dropping a lot which meant I had to keep picking them up from the floor.

Approaching my apartment door was a surreal experience after being absent for over four weeks. The inside smelled the same. Christmas decorations were still emitting a jolly feeling for a holiday almost two months old. I had my uncle put my luggage and bags on top of my bed for easier access.

I made a couple of calls to reach Tawny to retrieve my car for a quick trip to the grocery store for cereal and milk. My uncle drove me a couple of buildings over. I could see that she was rushing to clean fast food cups from it. I was excited to be able to drive even though I hadn't been released to do so by my doctor. Tawny gave me a warm greeting and invited me to a casual spaghetti dinner at her apartment. She still had weekend guests. I accepted only if she would pick me up because my energy level would be depleted by that time.

Driving hadn't changed my impatience and temper with other drivers. Ha. I felt a slight headache but hoping my sunglasses would shield the bright sun assaulting my eyes that had been hiding indoors. The trip to the grocery store made me uneasy since I had to walk by myself without my walker/stroller. I quickly waved to a clerk collecting carts in the parking lot to give me one which I clutched in front of me for support as I made my way inside. Noticing that other shopper's curious eyes zeroed in on my small shoulder bag holding my wound vac battery and canister made me feel conspicuous. The long clear plastic hose attached to it and me was wound around my right forearm while the rest of it dangled from it. I tried not to take offense.

My most disheartening moment was realizing that making it to the produce section of the store for fresh fruit seemed too far to walk even though it was about four aisles away. By this time, I had already been meandering for about 20 minutes. My concern was conserving my energy for the drive home and not feeling too achy.

When I finally made it home, I realized that I would need help to redress the bed so I called Kimmee to see if she was in her office. Luckily she was and stopped hours later with her dog Belle. I was able to eat lunch, re-launder my sheets for freshness and enjoy a nap before they arrived. Soon my bed was redressed and numerous decorative pillows were arranged on top of the duvet. Belle captured my attention while Kimmee and I chatted in my living room. Her little heart breaker was attention seeking but made not a sound and instead just focused her big brown round eyes on me commanding me to keep petting her. Minx.

The casual spaghetti dinner was great! I had the best time hanging out with some of my friends and meeting new ones. My plate was full twice (piggy Sprinkles!) and I scarfed a nice slice of ice cream cake when it was served. I did take one small tasting sip of butterscotch martini which was a like ambrosia and made me feel like little girl being allowed a forbidden taste. It was almost 11pm when Tawny zoomed me around the corner. Hot tea and my bed beckoned after a big day back. I ignored my aches that were making themselves known. Being in my own space just felt too good.

[Possum was correct -- I am the most sociable sick person I know!]
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: