Thursday, March 04, 2010

Triathlon Reminder

My regular nurse came around noon today to change my wound dressing. It is more for her to inspect it and make sure I am doing a great job changing it myself twice day. So far so good. Yay!

It is difficult to keep your personalities and lives to yourselves when you keep reconnecting with individuals, in this case my nurse(s). For me, the nurses are very curious about my apartment; the bright eclectic colors and decor invite attention which usually leads to questions about me. I am just as curious about them as they are to me so I usually ask them their motivation for being a nurse or what they love about it most. Those are the starters.

Today my nurse I could tell seemed burdened about home life with a husband and multiple children. The conversation got around to making beds and doing laundry. Her laundry woes were evident. It may not seem like much, but everyone needs clean clothes and if others are not helping or can't help, it can be a tough job to maintain. Her husband's training for an upcoming triathlon seemed to get her less help. Triathlon? I forgot about that word!!! Its mere mention juggled my inner effervescence to bursting.

I jabbered on about my bike equipment, my Polar watch, etc. The poor thing was then subjected to seeing my state-of-the-art bike (about two notches above my fitness level). Her face showed amazement at how light it was after she picked it up. She then began to tell me about how a gym up the road has a nice lap pool her husband goes to for swimming. Groovy! I must ask my surgeon if I am allowed to swim during chemo. The last time I saw him I was given permission to do yoga, get a massage and go to a chiropractor.

How could I have forgotten about my goal to do a triathlon? The last time I asked I was in my hospital bed listening to the explanation of the re-sectioning of my intestines with titanium staples. I may not be able to do train moderately for obvious reasons but I can still keep it in mind by doing light yoga and ride my bike indoors thanks to geeky bike equipment. It felt great thinking about how I can re-integrate this goal with chemo treatments. Where there is an AGOL will, there are many ways...

My cell phone was texting and ringing off the hook today, too. Tawny, Kathy, Kristey, Kimmee, Korean Kim and Jill were all burning up my phone. I was glad to communicate with them. It makes me feel relevant when I am not blogging, twittering and on facebook. My biggest challenge during recovery at home is making sure I keep up my end of communication. Who am I kidding? I am too much of a chatterbox to keep quiet. That's a promise, my lovelies.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: