Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Unwinding Before Port

My evening is waning. I should be going over last minute preparations for tomorrow's outpatient surgery to install my port. Give me a few minutes to mentally unwind with you?

The past couple of days have been hectic and annoying. Hectic with supply/grocery shopping and annoying with issues from my apartment complex. I swear my eight-day hospital stay last January was easier to manage than getting my apartment office to make sure they have fixed the moisture issue in the other bedroom. Mold and chemotherapy patient do not mix. Duh.

After some "status report" requests and two vendor visits Monday, today I was able to get them to put antibacterial primer on the areas that needed tending. They were supposed to put it on yesterday when the area was dry from the cleaning and antibacterial solution application on Monday. Ugh. Tomorrow while I am in surgery, they are going to finish by painting the areas primed. It will have taken them almost two weeks to complete from my initial call. My consolation prizes were my old television was taken away and I received new drip pans for my stove top electric coils. I didn't have to clean or buy new ones. That was worth some of the aggravation...

My fingertips have felt weird from the toll of overwashing my hands during my twice-a-day wound dressing changes. They felt more odd and naked today because I had my nail salon take off my acrylic nails yesterday morning. I can't take the chance of unnecessary bacterial infections during chemo when I get my nails done with either the superfine drills or sharp implements used. Chemotherapy is changing the physical landscape that is Sarah Sprinkles. I will have short thin nails now; however, I can still apply nail polish which makes me happy. I bid my salon adieu until August.

Kristey came over this evening to see me in my 'interim look'. I haven't seen her since January during my hospital stay. She brought an Italian dinner from Carraba's which we devoured immediately. While we ate, I showed her the bracelets that Tawny and I were making to keep count of my chemotherapy treatments. (I'll tell you about that in another post -- they are gorgeous!)

To take the places of the Christmas and birthday presents she hadn't given me yet, Kristey offered to buy my supplies for my soon-to-be shorn head. We looked through one catalogue and later a few online sites. I wanted to get what I needed like wig care and wig stand plus a sleep cap. She also wanted to get me something more fun so we settled on a casual scarf. We were both pleased with our selections. I was most thankful for her generosity. She kept apologizing for things not being properly gift wrapped; I told her my head would be wrapped every time I wore these things so it was okay. Ha.

One interesting thing today -- when the hospital called for last minute preparation reminders for the surgery, I found out that my surgeon will be performing the surgery. Odd, I mentioned, since there are people who do that type of surgery all day. The nurse said that my surgeon is particular and likes to do them himself. Damn. I love this man; he is thorough.

Well, my lovelies, I am tired from super cleaning and doing laundry today not to mention entertaining for a couple of hours this evening. I need to get all my paperwork and clothes for tomorrow when my aunt and uncle pick me up. Wish me luck!

Love,
Sarah
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: