Monday, August 11, 2008

Gong Xi

Why do I always seem to go back to bed after the alarm across the room has gone off? Not only after it has gone off, but after I have emptied my bladder. Zombie AGOL finds herself back tucked in her super soft golden sheets. Just 30 minutes more. Yeah, right. Ninety minutes later. Aargh. Training myself to stop this habit is going to take some strength and determination.

NBC, broadcasting from Beijing this morning, has continued with their Olympic tradition that started in Athens of giving a word a day. Today's word was congratulations or gong xi in Chinese. It is pronounced goong shi, I think. I kept saying it all day. What a nerd ball! It is bad enough I can say My name is, Hello, Thank You and Goodbye in Russian. I won't even go into the bits of Japanese as I know an expert and not want to embarrass myself further. Now I am attempting to add Chinese words. I already know plenty of Chinese words like Lo Mein, Chow Mein, Pu-Pu (Platter), Feng Shui, Tao, I Ching, etc. What's a few more for this crazy chick?

I felt immediately queasy when I arrived in the garage building at work for some reason. Maybe it was the jet fuel fumes wafting from the airport and mingling with the gasoline fumes in the garage? Did I mention the hot oppressive humidity hanging in the air holding said fumes? Eek... It would be a quiet day and be mostly to myself since Bridget was on vacation. I knew the temp would try to engage in conversation. She always does when Bridget is not around. Odd thing. My boss was a little freakish, too. I wasn't going to let anyone mess with my good vibrations from the weekend.

The Asian Mafia was complete again (sans Bridget though). We were more subdued, but still lively. Because of this connection, work has been made more enjoyable during lunch. The fun we have makes us more eager to bring our lunch. We will still go out once a week though. The girls were mentioning a girl's night out with karaoke today. That ought to be fun. No alcohol needed for sure. I can only imagine what a little alcohol would do to this group.

I left a few minutes earlier than normal and be home sooner. Three Asian eggplant were in my fridge waiting to be roasted and prepared Filipino style. I decided to do that for my next two lunches. Dinner was a lighter fare. I didn't want my body to spend the evening digesting a heavy meal to wake up exhausted before I have even had a chance to start my day. That's why you shouldn't have a heavy (ex. Italian) meal at night or late at night. Your body will spend the evening digesting the meal instead of only repairing and rebuilding your body while you are at rest. Let's not even go through the strange dreams you might have. Make sense?

I'll say gong xi to myself for being productive for a Monday. Now I am ready to wind down with my requisite bedtime mug of hot jasmine tea.

.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: