Friday, December 22, 2006

A Goddess Made of Jade

Fog and dreary days must be making it from the other side of the Atlantic. Despite the weather, it was a great day spent with my cousin and our respective goddaughters who happen to be twins. We follow the same formula, though not necessarily in the same order: Lunch+Movie(s)+Bookstore+Visit to Grandma/pa's house=Girlie Day Out.

Today, we had a nice lunch at the Brandon Cheddar's. Watching the twins maneuver their lunches is a sport in itself. When I think how I prissy I am when I eat, they take the cake! I wonder where they get it from...We did make it in time to the movie despite having to gas up at the station across the way and then crawling by way of Brandon Mall just to make it across to AMC. Holiday traffic=BAH HUMBUG!!

If you haven't seen "Happy Feet", it is worth the trip. I, too, had my doubts on this being a good animated film, but it was hilarious. Penguins rock! I even got a little vaklempt at parts...such a sap! Of course, no time for dawdling, the piece de resistance was coming up which is always a trip to Border's bookstore.

The last time I took the twins there was for their birthdays in June. It's not that I censored their book choices per se, but I had to encourage them with more lighthearted fare instead of the heavy tomes that kept finding themselves in their arms...a lot of European history and autobiographies which they voraciously read. Nothing against all that, but the time before that they bought several of the same things; they just needed a balance of reading. They are only 14 years old and I would like them to enjoy this time of their lives. By the same age, I was already too jaded. This realization dawned on me as we were in the bookstore. Sigh. I dread the day they find out the real story behind the wizard in Oz. Such sweet girls. I am grateful they haven't lived through my childhood or even their mother's.

No tomes for them this time, one bought an anime Naruto guide and the other bought three rather ghoulish slasher DVDs...Yuck! I do not like films with useless violence to scare their audience, but we rarely say no to the twins since they ask for so little. Their grades in school are phenomenal so the bookstore is a way of rewarding their hard work.

I didn't escape the bookstore empty-handed either, I bought a present for a niece and two new CDs for myself. One was recommended by a music critic on the CBS Sunday Show entitled, "Talk to LaBomb" by Brazilian Girls. It is good for a party and something different for your CD collection. The other was highly praised by my new yummy friend Peter called "Be" by rap artist Common which has a lot of funky beats to groove to when I need it. You were right - Track 6 is great!



In fact, tonight I used that CD as inspiration when I practiced my photography project. Nothing like a good groove to get you going. I am doing a special series on sets of things. I take liberal creative license in putting them together for a really sharp vignette. They are humorous yet it makes the viewer think of life's bigger picture. I'd post them, but they are private for a special Greek patron...

After we all visited Grandma/pa's house for a bit, we took the twins home back to their parents. They are always so thankful, polite, gracious, loving and generous with themselves. It is a joy to be around them. I reminded my cousin on the drive back that we were just like them. She quietly agreed. Maybe I am not so jaded after all. There's still hope.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: