Thursday, December 28, 2006

Cars, Trolleys, Escalators and Elevators

Ground Hog Day. Again. I got a call from Angie saying that we were meeting her brother's wife Michelle and their kids at a coffee house in the Channelside District located in the heart of downtown Trampa. The call came at around 11:30am; our rendezvous time was to be 1:30pm. Get ready to dance because we are about to do The Hustle, Sarah!

I was showered, dressed, coiffed, powdered, perfumed and in my pink Nike shoes in seemingly record time, but still not enough to make our time especially since I still had to drive to Brandon (30 mins) and pick up Angie to drive to Channelside (20 mins). We got stuck at the Crosstown toll booth since some moron didn't have it together in front of us. I even got a call from nine-year old Kristen who berated her TiTi Sarah for being late. She's too young to be surly. Aargh.

We finally met them after parking where Christ lost his second set of sandals on the fifth level of the parking garage. We then took a very (needed) relaxing ride around the Channelside District, historic Ybor, outskirts of downtown Trampa and back to Channelside. The kids enjoyed the ride since we had a conductor and they got to wave at other trolleys passing by.

An early dinner found us dining on chicken wings and fries at Hooter's Restaurant where the attraction isn't the food, but the scantily clad cleavage of the waitresses. A lot of pretty faces, but no cleavage action...not that I am even remotely interested, just feeling disappointed for the guys who go there for the view. Just as well, people do take their families there as we did.


Channelside View from the Fifth Level Garage

Somehow I got conned into going to a movie since I suddenly found myself taking the escalator to the second level where the theaters were located. I just thought we were taking a trolley ride and having ice cream with the kids. We ended up seeing "Eragon". It was okay...a lot left unsaid in the movie and seemed rushed. It was no "Lord of the Rings", but I did enjoy the actor Jeremy Irons. I've had a crush on him for years. What a voice!

It was dusk when we got out of the movie and we were about to embark on the garage elevator when I caught sight of an old co-worker and friend, Scott, coming out. He was on his way to see a hockey game down the road and was accompanied by a woman I had never seen before whom he hurriedly introduced as his wife. (In the 11 years I've known Scott, this is his fourth wife and he's just shy of 40. I've been there to see him through some of his engagements and divorces. He's just a romantic, I guess.) We gave each other a big hug and he still called me "Sarita". If his wife's reaction was any indication, he probably seemed a little too happy to see me. He told me to call him at the office right before the elevators doors closed.

Chance meetings. What are the odds? My odds are pretty good lately.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: