Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Just a Yo-yo

Christmas is starting to feel like that "Groundhog Day" movie. Every time I turn around, I am either exchanging gifts or having a special meal.

I was late getting to my aunt's house today to exchange gifts with cousin Florida and her family. Truth be told, I wasn't feeling that well. Fatigue and cramping are always a nice combination for the AGOL. I know, I know -- TMI. Get over it.

Florida and her husband left to run some errands. Angie and I would take the twins and their older brother home later. When we arrived at their home, the twins gave us a mini violin concert. I was so impressed! Angie had played the clarinet in school and I had played the flute before learning how to play the alto saxophone. It has been years since we each played an instrument, but we were up to an impromptu violin lesson from the girls. If the initial discordant squawks and piercing sounds were any indication, we needn't quit our day jobs.

Ten minutes later, our bows finally made sounds appropriate for a violin. We began to really enjoy it. We were so surprised at how much easier it seemed than making a proper embouchure on our chosen wind instruments. Trying to hold a saxophone in your mouth while blowing into it can be difficult if you're not used to it. Maybe my bottom lip was just too big. I don't know.

I teased Angie that I was starting to become a "Yo-Yo Ma". She replied, "You're just a yo-yo". Nice cousin. I almost had to kill her...Some sort of freakish string accident perhaps? Sadly for the world, my virtuoso dreams had to be aborted because I was laughing so hard that I couldn't control my posture.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: