Sunday, October 19, 2008

Feta is Quiche

The morning walk with my Pretty Boy Dog required more than the T-shirt I wore over my jeans. When did the temperature drop? Obviously, I missed the news the evening prior. I shuffled along while Cabal marked almost a dozen spots around the complex. He has long fur and had no worries.

Remember I told you I bought a big block of feta cheese? I had a craving for tiropita and spanakopita. Lacking the phyllo dough to make these feta/spinach dishes, I decided to omit it and make a crustless quiche or frittata. It tasted more like a quiche.

Look at my new onion holder for the refrigerator. I had to have it when I saw it at the grocery store. It can hold a very large onion.



I sauteed a quarter of a large onion and then mixed it in the half a cup of spinach, two eggs and enough crumbled feta cheese to have a thick lumpy mixture. (Apologies on the impromptu recipe. I hardly measure and I was cutting the block of feta a little at a time.) I buttered the shallow pie plate before spreading the feta mixture on top. It baked in the oven at 350-degrees for 15 minutes and then I set the oven on broil so I could get those attractive spots on top of the pie and to finish cooking it.



This pie was quite flavorful and probably many calories less than a traditional quiche. The feta mix could be used with additional spinach in a pie using phyllo next time when I want to get my Greek on.

I shopped in the late afternoon for non-food items. Almost a dozen plastic bags were filled with not-so-fun stuff like paper towels, toilet tissue, trash bags, etc. My treasure of the day was a set of four $5 compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs) which emit enough light for 40Watts but only use 9Watts. These were more special because they had to be shaped like globes for the vanity mirror in the bathroom. Talk about bright white light! I love love love them!

Tawny stopped by late this evening to give me what appears to be (at first) a big box of red Christmas ornaments from IKEA. She was quick to let me know that they were not. :::AGOL stunned face::: They were actually Valentine's ornaments! Not really, my lovelies. This set had ornaments shaped like hearts. She and Jeff saw the display as soon as they walked into IKEA and had to get it for me. I guess I will wait to hang my "Valentine's ornaments".


.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: