Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Dubious New Beginning

Yesterday was intense. My temp received her gift from me first thing. She accepted it as if expecting she was getting more gifts today. Her comments on how many layers to get to the gift irked me. I think she's the kind who just wants a gift bag to take out one tissue to reveal the package. Ugh. The jewelry stunned her and true to form did not thank me. When I was asked by others how she received it, I told them.

Bridget was able to deflect the temp all day as she came in late announcing the doctor's diagnosis for strep throat. Lucky. My boss had several contact points with her as an all day exit interview if you will. Almost forgot -- she interviewed seriously yesterday for a couple of openings on my floor.

As the day wore on the finality of her situation in my department wore on her too. She actually became more humble and sad. The words thank you did leave her lips and she said it over the cube walls to me minutes before I collected her building ID and laptop. I gave her a hug in my cube right before she left our security doors. You could tell she wanted to stay as she dragged the moment of leaving. She left and I was relieved.

My long-time-no-see-BFF Tawny stopped by to see me and give me some mini pumpkins and a gourd for the fall. We spent some time chatting. Besides last Saturday's baby shower, I have not seen her in WEEKS. We work for the same company (different buildings) and we live in the same apartment complex yet we cannot seem to sync our schedules. A desperate plea via text might have hastened her visit. I was very happy to see her...

Which brings us to today: Today I felt freer at work than ever. No more walking the area around my cube feeling as though the gestapo was on alert to my every move. No more whining complaints of not being included or whatever. Best of all, no more energy black hole waiting to suck my energy. Yes, it was that bad especially the last six months. I jokingly sent my group a video of The Fifth Dimension's The Age of Aquarius song as our new theme song which brought laughs.

Lunch with the Asian mafia was fun. We all brought components to make a meal and to share amongst ourselves. We were full as ticks. One of the managers made the chocolate chip cookies he promised me which was a nice treat at the end of our meal. I told him I was bringing chocolate ganache cupcakes on Friday. Most of that batch is going to Rob who is driving to my side of town to meet Bridget and me for lunch. I told him it would make him bow down and worship me. He's a foodie, too. Although he is smarter than AGOL. He consumes food, but works it off to get to negative calories. Grrr.

In the afternoon, my boss dropped a bomb on us during our staff meeting. It looks like the North American division is going to absorb my little group while we still work the current healthcare division. My boss may have the chance to absorb more employees as a replacement for someone who recently vacated a position. The details are sketchy but we are meeting tomorrow with the new group via conference call. We were reassured that our jobs were still viable during our mini-conference call with my boss' new director. More updates as they happen...

I have absorb more work and will have to intelligently structure my day to meet all the demands. If you were to view all windows open on my machine, it would give you a headache. Fortunately, I've done this before and just need some adjustment. It's all good. I have to think positive on everything even as my carpal tunnel on my left hand acts up. OMG -- I could lightly grip things with it, but I couldn't pull anything the pain was so acute. Ibuprofen is my friend for now.

An odd lesson came to me today. It concerned a person who I envied for a bit. She seemed to glide on everything from looks to work. Well, she's been recently demoted and her house of cards are falling apart so to speak. The structure was impressive and now I know had no substance or real foundation. It just goes to show you that it is fruitless to envy someone's picture perfect life because of what the integrity the foundation might be built upon. It is official now - I have decided I am going to be envious of myself: Damn, my hair was fantastic today! Trust me, it was. I was told several times. Yes, I know you've missed trips to Shallowville. LOL


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: