Saturday, October 04, 2008

Beginning of 24-hour Meltdown

Insomnia was defeated yesterday. I woke up to walk the dog and feed him before coming back to bed and sleeping until almost noon. My chores and trip to the Asian store were completely ignored. It would seem the universe thought I needed rest for the next 24-hour meltdown.

I was making my lunch in the kitchen when some noise outside my bedroom window was loud enough for me to go investigate. There were two men in service trucks working near the electric meters. They looked official enough so I left them alone to go back making my lunch.

Kathy called me back from yesterday. She expressed how angry she was for me at my former temp's behavior during her leave. Well, what's done is done and now it is about new chapters. In the middle of our conversation, I noticed something was amiss. It was very quiet. I was in another room, but had the TV on loud so I could listen. Where was my Spanish chef and his very musical show? The lights were partially on which meant the men did something to the electrical boxes outside. My air conditioning was off, too. I got off the phone to call the apartment complex. They would send someone out to talk to the electrical workers who were now resting in the shade from the heat. This was around 2:30pm.

The trouble with weekends is that the complex is not fully staffed with maintenance workers. I couldn't wait so I walked the dog and went inside the main lobby of the office to give them an update. I noticed the electric company's logo on the side of the trucks. You'd think one of the leasing agents would have gotten up and investigated herself. Uh, not these spring beauties. (Rolling my eyes.) The trucks had already left by the time Cabal and I returned. Upon further investigation of the area they were working in, it would seem they changed all the meters to digital versions.

A young maintenance guy came by and noted the dilemma with my apartment and directed me to call the electric company. I proceeded to tell him that with the age of the building that this had happened to me before, but he insisted for me to call. I did. A truck came out and left. Another call to the complex had me calling the electric company again. I made one last ditch effort to call the complex to see if they could research previous records on my unit to see what the resolution was before. Nope. They don't have such records. WTF?

The electric company called and confirmed that their workers checked the voltage and nothing was wrong. The volley was back to the apartment complex. By this time it was after hours and getting to be dark. I placed an emergency after hours call. The guy who visited me earlier came within 25 minutes. This poor thing tried with all his might to get whatever fixed but he couldn't because he didn't have the part. A portable A/C unit was almost installed, but it required too much power and took some lights out. Jeezus.

I was asked for my signature to say that he did come in for an emergency call. The page wasn't pre-filled; I did it for him so the facts could be noted correctly. Before I signed, I told him in terms he could understand how this whole thing had inconvenienced my weekend. It was delivered in that calm even tone that says I've had enough of this whole bullshit. I was thinking that this problem may have already been solved had he properly done his job almost six hours earlier instead of blaming the electric company. It was hot in apartment and I couldn't cook anything because of the low power. Doing laundry was out of the question, too. Any plans I had previously had to be canceled and now I was going to be inconvenienced more until the next day. I must have made him nervous because he had verbal diarrhea trying to make conversation, mostly about the dog.

Cabal and I were left in a 76-degree apartment. I normally have it at 69/70. To make matters worse my laptop and cell phone batteries were running low and I couldn't recharge them. I drove out to get fast food and to find a resolve not to be whiny to myself the rest of the evening or at least until the guy calls around again at 9am. Ohhh...I hate to whine. See?


A very special thanks to my friend Kathy who was patient and supportive to lend me her ear through today's portion of the ordeal. Thank you for also checking up on me and my doggie.


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: