Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Reminiscing

My mind and body were wide awake at 4am. I had walked Cabal and was filling up the kettle with filtered water from my Brita pitcher. I thought about my friend Rob who got me into the habit of using Brita earlier in the year. As I kept pouring, it made me then think of being a little girl in the Philippines.

I don't think about such a thing much these days, but we had to get potable water from the American airbase -- just outside actually. A big hard near opaque white plastic jug with a brass faucet would be filled then brought back to our house almost everyday. One of my mother's male cousins lived with us and it was his task to get the water. It was an interesting thing...I haven't thought about that in a long time.

Later in the day, I told Rob about it and he laughed. I asked him why and he said, "Just my subtle impact." I shook my head. He always enjoys these stories especially the ones he has somehow a hand in making me remember. Brat.

Lunch was lively with all the members of the Asian (Lunch) Mafia. Kim had cooked a big batch of fried rice the night before to share with us. Good thing because Bridget was about to brave the cafe downstairs since she didn't bring anything. It was flavorful with a hint of spice. The whole thing also had small dices of Spam. It's an Asian thing. Go ask anyone in Hawaii; that state is the largest consumer of Spam per capita. We were so loud that we had to close the door. Man are we funny together!

I worked an extra 40 minutes this evening. Aargh. I didn't listen to myself which would have kept me from starting a project. The week is just beginning and I am already tired...My hairdresser returned my call from Friday. We set an appointment for Saturday which got me thinking when I would have my nails done. I'd have to work it in that day somehow. Speaking of...

Two weeks ago my nail lady suggested a new nail product: acrylic mixed with different colors of micro glitter. I agreed to one on my ring finger, but got talked into both ring fingers while keeping the rest a French manicure. I chose a diamond or silver color. It was a challenge to explain to her how tacky these things were on all nails and how inappropriate they were for a corporate setting.

The following pic is of my nails on my right hand. It is difficult to get a good pic with the lighting and my double-jointed fingers making awkward poses. Notice the pumpkin soup tureen in the background? That is what I have displayed on my kitchen table for autumn at the moment. Large pillar candles on equally large candle columns flank it. Back to AGOL's nails:


Lookee...Shiny...Sparkly...


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: