Saturday, May 05, 2007

AGOL Takes UK: Long Day to Trampa

Has it really been two weeks already? I kept going over my adventures with Yummy as I packed. Sadness was a thin veil over me. Drawing upon inner strength, I repacked my suitcase to bursting. Yummy had to come in and help me close it. My carrying case which was filled on my way over with my stuff was now filled with chocolate. Both bags were heavier and so was my inner being. Time does fly when you're having fun.

Breakfast was strawberries and Greek yogurt. Trying to get a head start on healthier choices, I guess. We didn't really eat bad food these past two weeks. It was just richer than everyday fare, but we walked most of it off, I'm sure.

We hustled to the station to catch a specific train to Gatwick Airport. The train ride conversation is a dull memory, kind of like the other train ride from Gatwick only now I was not nervous riding next to Yummy.

I checked my luggage and had a panic moment when the announcer repeated that it was one bag per passenger and a lady's handbag was considered one bag. Yikes! The British Airways lady employee was very nice. She didn't charge me to check in my carrying case, the one with the precious chocolate! I was advised to stash my purse inside my shopping bag to count as one until after I got through security.

Yummy and I drank some coffee and reminisced until it was an hour before my flight. He accompanied me to just outside the security area. Hugs and kisses before life interrupted. Amazingly, both security checks were a breeze for me.

The flight back was indeed a long day, nine hours more to be exact. I got to watch Chronicles of Narnia, a nice diversion. I had an aisle seat which made the flight that much more interesting with my row mates' restroom visits and being able to watch the plight of the flight attendants. It is a tough job satisfying a big plane full of passengers.

So many thoughts ran through my head, but I tried to squelch them with sleep. I ended up getting chummy with my row mates who were a retired British couple on holiday in St. Petersburg. They had the cutest last name: Affection!

Before I knew it, the plane was landing (with Affection - Ha!). I turned my phone on again for the first time for actual usage. A text message from Tawny appeared letting me know they were in Starbucks and I texted back that the evil had landed.

The trip through the immigration maze was easier going back. Tawny kept texting me to find out where I was and I let her know I was in immigration. This didn't stop her from texting me some more. I told her I was getting my luggage. Minutes later more text messaging asking about my luggage.

As I was passing my final security check, Tawnyia called me. She was confused about the luggage; she had seen on the monitor that my luggage was still in Gatwick. I cut the call short since the security guy was approaching me to move me along and I quickly explained that it was different in international flights and would see her momentarily. Sigh.

Tawny had missed me terribly and it was great to see her and Jeff. They whisked me home so I could drop off my luggage which had precious chocolate waiting to melt in the Florida heat. On the way, I called Yummy to let him know I was back safely in Trampa. It was well after 10pm his time. He was watching footie and had been wondering where I was in my homecoming process...

Tawnyia and Jeff were angels for staying over at my apartment to sit with Cabal. I was comforted that he was well-cared for and loved while I was gone for two weeks. He was happy to see me and couldn't quite believe my homecoming. Spent some time with him before we all made our way to Macaroni Grill for dinner to catch up.

They came back to my apartment for a bit, but Tawnyia was falling asleep and they had to get ready for their St. Augustine trip the next day so off they went. It was just Cabal and me. We reacquainted ourselves. I missed my Pretty Boy Dog. I didn't see any dog as pretty as he is while I was in England. He is just the best doggie ever!

I called my aunt and uncle and let them know I was back before I called their daughter, my cousin Angie, in LA. At some point, I ended the call because I fell asleep while talking to her! My time clock was in a frenzy -- I was longing for sleep. It found me as soon as I lay my head on my pillow...


25 Things I Learned in England:
  1. YOU’RE the one who talks funny.

  2. Pubs are cool. It’s not just a watering hole. It is a culture, a way of life and where beers taste good…and it is served cold.

  3. Hookerella heels….bad idea. You must bring cute walking shoes next time so you can wear more outfits.

  4. Appliances there have big scary plugs.

  5. Everyone seems to have a garden or a lot of plants.

  6. Football (don’t call it soccer) is serious business. Grown manly men cry if their team wins or loses as shown on the “telly”.

  7. You don’t have to own or drive a car. They have a great transit system (bus/train).

  8. Castles here make Disney’s look like a shack.

  9. People do not say “bloody”, "cheerio", “tallyho” and “jolly good” in every conversation.

  10. “To Let” signs are not missing the vowel “I”.

  11. Not every guy is named Nigel.

  12. Mexicans do not cross the pond. Bow out of Mexican restaurants.

  13. Chinese peeps are everywhere but the restaurants are not the same in the US either.

  14. Watching Asians speak with British accents is weird.

  15. Long acrylic nails have no place here unless you can pass yourself off as an Eastern European hooker….You can try Russian or some kind of Asian, too.

  16. Food portions are normal, more manageable and no refills on coffee, hot tea and colas. No iced tea on the menus -- eek!

  17. It’s not the same English spoken.

  18. Restrooms have floor to ceiling doors and you may have to think about what you’re doing since the gadgets are different. God help you if you’re claustrophobic.

  19. Smiles are still smiles.

  20. Things here are old, some bordering on ancient. Your 50-year old house is NOT “vintage”.

  21. The “pretty clock” in London IS Big Ben.

  22. Food here tastes great! (Exception: Vile Marmite)

  23. Mind the Gap.

  24. Chivalry is not dead. Gentlemen still exist. Yummy is a poster child.

  25. If you’re American, don’t get drunk and try to negotiate the streets. You WILL be looking the wrong way. Splat will be your new name.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: