Friday, September 05, 2008

Sprightly

Friday is the only work day where it is legally okay to be sprightly. I am sure I read that somewhere. All I know was that I spent most of the day in a good mood energized with boundless energy.

One of our vendors took my boss and me to my favorite restaurant Maggiano's for lunch. We were able to slide into a prime parking spot and not wait for a table. That's where normal ended. For the first time in a little over 15 years I have been going to this restaurant (starting in Chicago), the table setting was less than pleasant. My napkin looked like it had been previously enjoyed and a couple of the bread plates had crumbs on them. What the hell?!

I announced to my table that I wanted to be the whiny bitch to deal with the waiter. They both agreed. After miming to the waiter to come around the table next to me, I explained to him that my napkin was crinkled and looked like it was previously enjoyed and told him about crumbs on the plates. He took the first few off the stack on the side of the table and I corrected him to take the whole thing. The waiter was apologetic and came back to take our order.

Luckily the food was still delicious until dessert. My boss and I decided to share a piece of chocolate cake. When it arrived to our table, this big wedge of chocolate monstrosity had a garish red wood-handled knife sticking out from it. WTF? The waiter saw my expression and quickly said he didn't put it in there. I told him that the kitchen should never do that as a presentation. It looks aggressive and unappetizing. Large beads of condensation had formed on the chocolate ganache enrobing the slice which told me that had been out of the refrigerator for more minutes than when we ordered. Sigh. It didn't taste as good as I remembered. I hope this experience was an anomaly...

A spreadsheet claimed my afternoon. The better portion was my responsibility to research thanks to a morning meeting. At some point a little after 5pm, my boss urged me to go home. I declined as I wanted to finish this project. There is a bigger project that deserves all of my attention next week. I left at 6pm and my energy was finally depleted though I still managed a few things in the evening. There was still enough energy to make myself a homemade meal, do a few loads of laundry in the evening including the slipcovers on my furniture and wash floors and clean some of the base boards. Is that sick or what?


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: