Saturday, September 27, 2008

R&A's Baby Shower

Baking...Wrapping Gifts...Hanging out with my friends. What a great day!

This evening was a small co-ed baby shower for Rebecca and Ant. Their formal frou-frou brunch at a tea shop was earlier in the day. I was surprised they weren't as tired looking when they arrived which was great for the rest of us eager to celebrate with them.

I made decadent Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes for the cupcake tree. After one bite, I remembered why I don't make them often. You could pop them like pills they are so good. I sprinkled little dragees on top for decoration. The only thing that would have been better for me was if I had driven across town to find dark blue liners instead of the pastel ones. I was the only one really concerned about that detail.



Here are the smiling expectant parents. One of their funny gifts was a two-pack brick of Cafe Bustelo coffee (very strong!) for the late nights when Garrett decides he wants his parents not to have sleep.



This diaper cake I made faked out a few guests who thought it was a real cake. It almost didn't survive the car ride over. In case you want to make your own, here is the pattern I followed. In lieu of the booze, I put in a bottle of Pedialyte for the baby and put teething rings on the cake instead of stuffed animals. I would have loved to have made this Hawaiian version, but it was too girly.



Let me make this next pic clear: I DID NOT DO THIS! As pervy as I am it was not my doing that the sprinkles on the table ended up in compromising positions. AND NO I AM NOT DISAPPOINTED THAT I DIDN'T THINK OF IT FIRST. Mostly.



Kathy and Jamie put on a great party; there were about a dozen of us being crazy. Jamie was a good cookie by fulfilling my wish of cooking the bratwursts in beer and onion Jacuzzi. He put those babies in the slower cooker for several hours before grilling them. Hot damn they were tasty! Kathy drank a lot of wine and was still in one piece before I left. She came up with the best guess of what the first baby's word would be: mothertrucker. That is the exact word Ant says all the time.

For this original circle of friends (at least the last 10 years), this is the first baby among us. It makes me proud to say that I am very excited and in no way feeling bitter or sad. They are truly deserving and their baby boy will have one of the best set of parents a baby could have. How many days until their due date in November?


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: