Monday, September 29, 2008

Big Sticks and Silver Bullets

I was fine until I woke up this morning.

My day was to be filled with activities for our temp's going away. This caused me anxiety and pressure I sought to contain as soon as I began getting ready for work. The matter with my temp has been an ordeal we've been waiting months to solve. Budgets were done recently and her contract was not included in that budget. For her part, she has been in denial even through the warnings from my boss that this time was coming.

When I got to work, my preliminary order of business was to warn off everyone that I was a biatch on wheels and that they should either start sharpening their sticks or just get out the silver bullets. I try to give fair warning when I know my mood is mercurial. Back to the order of today's business...

The first order of business was a meeting with my boss and another manager in the building. It was less troublesome than I thought. A big plus for the morning.

The second order of business was taking my temp out to lunch. Four of us made our way to an upscale sports bar. It was "okay" interspersed with moments of discomfort.

The third order of business was announcing the winner for the premier parking space. That was an unprecedented event as I had to announce a second winner. The first selection forfeited his prize because he had a new handicap tag for his vehicle allowing him to park next to the building. There are some perks to breaking your foot.

The fourth order of business was to round up people for a custom ordered surprise cake for the temp. Imagine my surprise when more than half of the invitees between both buildings had sudden excuses, most legit - some not or were non-responsive. (Yes, my lovelies, the surprise bit was sarcasm.) Bridget and I worked the floor to get more last minute attendees.

The fifth order of business was to track down the gift I ordered for the temp. I ordered online a pretty sterling silver hinged bangle bracelet with etched 18kt gold leaf overlay design. A couple of people chastised me for spending what I did. For me, I felt it was the right thing to do. This person is so desperate for outside validation and attention especially from me. I've been avoiding her because I didn't want to get sucked in her energy and start conversations that I would have to tap dance from. Sigh. It is during these times, my compassionate side prevails and understands that most antics are a call for love. How can I totally turn my back against her?

Not everyone is hopeless, but everyone can be lost and choose not to find themselves or work to find the path to understanding their place and role in the world. Is it on purpose? Perhaps they just don't know how and have never been taught. You and I know how our environment can shape us into what we don't want to necessarily be, but there we are...volunteers on a path we know nothing of as walk on it.

I made someone check the mailbox at work in the afternoon and my gift was there. The temp has to wait until tomorrow to receive it. It has been wrapped with care. The kind of care I took to put the package together is the kind that is reserved for people I truly care about. Everyone deserves a magical present to open...to feel that beat of anticipation as they take away the layers...and finally the delighted elation of taking off the boxtop revealing tissue and a velvet pouch containing shiny jewelry chosen just for them.

Whether any gratitude for the gift is expressed, it is of no importance to me. She has worked in my department for over two years and I have been the constant presence as previous co-workers and managers have moved on. Her hard work cannot be faulted and some measure of gratitude should be expressed to her. I would like for her to have a long lasting reminder she can see and feel -- an outward validation.


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: