Thursday, November 06, 2008

Engine Light

Safe and cocooned in my bed for about an hour, my cell phone rang minutes before 3am. It was Tab. What the hell? He was drunk dialing me from his business trip. Our 40 minute conversation had ended when I realized he passed out and was snoring on the other end of the line. OMFG..Wake an insomniac and fall asleep while talking to her. Yeah, he enjoyed my response hours later...

My car had to be turned around half way to work because I noticed the engine light came on. I stopped home to get my power supply for my laptop and my wireless card before heading towards the car shop. Their prognosis was expensive, but understandable considering the age of the vehicle. I balked (not too softly) about the cost and they trimmed $100 off and threw in an oil change.

When I called my boss to give him an update, he gave me The Talk. He prefaced it by saying he was talking to me as a friend and not as a boss. It entailed the cost of the aging vehicle, the amount of money I've sunk into it this past year and about finally making the call to the bank for a car loan. He was right, but I was devastated at the prospect of having a car payment which I have not had to do for seven years.

I called the bank and in the midst of waiting for them to call back with an approval amount, I had the mechanic halt his progress. Eventually, I received my call back with an approval. I had to scramble to send my loan officer the last two pay stubs via PDF from my e-statements before making my way to the nearest branch for a bank draft with my loan amount. The shop was disappointed at the lost dollars, but I was happier at the solution...mostly.

By the time I finished signing for the bank draft to take with me when I am ready to buy my chosen car, it was almost three o'clock with no midmorning snack or lunch. I had guzzled down a sugary drink sometime and I couldn't wait to go home.

My work suffered from today...I received a good amount of additional encouraging support from Bridget, Tawny, Sharon and my cousin Angie in Los Angeles. I called Angie's brother Dave with a request for help/advice in buying a new vehicle and at the same time he extracted a positive answer for my being present at Thanksgiving dinner. How could I say no? We are going to get together on Sunday for my vehicle purchase.

A good portion of my evening was spent researching online for car makes and models. At least I was attempting to when I was not falling asleep from lack of it. How aggravating. It's been 12 years since my last vehicle purchase. Yes, that's a very long time. This vehicle just turned 144,000 miles which averages about 12,000 driving miles per year. Not bad. I was hoping to drive it another 25,000. This just goes to prove that your AGOL is not all about Shallowville. I don't identify with my car as far as a prestige thing; it is a mode to get from one point to another. Wish me luck.


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: