Saturday, October 24, 2009

Sweets with Sweets

I cannot recall the last time I decorated cookies. My rusty skills revealed themselves today during Bridget and her son Logan's visit to my place for Halloween-themed cupcakes and cookie decorating.

My visitors were so sweet! They brought me flowers. Bridget handed me a vibrant summer-like mix while Logan had to bring me his own separate single pink rose. I immediately prepared them in a large vase before we headed out for a quick Greek lunch down the road...

Disney's "Lilo and Stitch" played on the DVD while we decorated the cupcakes Bridget baked and the cookies I made. Logan did participate; however, it was Bridget who got more out of it by learning how to color buttercream and royal icing with the new electric gel colors I received in the mail earlier in the week. My memory was short on how involved the whole activity could become, but it was worth a creative afternoon.

In between decorating, Logan would show me his mini Legos shaped like helicopters and trucks. It was all very complicated and told him so. Bolstered with the fearless spirit of an eight-year old, he commanded his knowledge of building each bit. He proceeded to hand me five pieces to put together a miniature helicopter pilot: three black pieces for the body, one for the white helmet and a yellow tinted clear acrylic mask for the helmet. After I struggled a little with my long nails to put them all together, he rewarded me with a smile. What a ladykiller!

Here are some pics of their decorating. Luckily for me they took most everything home. My kitchen and dining room were decorating disaster areas. Ha! All cleaned up in over an hour thank goodness.



As a result of today, I am definitely going to bake again for Christmas with the 15-year old butter cookie recipe I've kept and never used until this afternoon. It was a recipe from a lady named Nancy I worked part-time at Williams-Sonoma back in Chicago. For years I saw it hidden in between other pages of my personal recipe treasure book, but never had the heart to throw it away. Delayed surprises can be best and sweet, too!
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: