Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cookie Doctor

I know I am treading on dangerous ground as I discuss a visit to my new "cookie doctor" yesterday. As millions of women around the world know, it is not the most dignified exam whether is it given by a male or female doctor.

After years of dealing with a male, I decided to switch to a women's group five minutes from my apartment. From the first call to make the appointment to the end of the visit, it was the best experience. They managed your expectations and made you proud to have chosen them.

Hello Hollywood...The lobby reminded you of an upscale hotel with wood and cushioned furniture set in conversation groups surrounded by deep sand colored walls. This facility was packed with women waiting to be seen, mostly by pregnant women. Navy blue jackets adorned the ladies sitting behind the reception windows like tetras in a fishbowl and friendly nurses milled about in cheerful rose pink scrubs. Everyone welcomed you with a smile and addressed you formally by "Mrs --" or "Ms --". Later I found my exam room already prepared for my visit with vials marked with my name in bold letters.

My new doctor has a cozy office decorated with formal heavy furniture and one wall hung a big photo cloud sculpture of babies she had delivered. In front of her was a mini laptop where she made notes of some symptoms I had been experiencing. We talked in general, agreed to a battery of blood work to get a baseline and she hinted that part of my issue could be age (horror!) related. "Women in their late 30s...blah blah blah". Nice. Yes, even your AGOL suffers from human maladies.

I normally get anxious in any doctor's offices and was dumbstruck when the nurse told me my blood pressure reading was normal. The exam itself was uneventful thanks to smaller instruments and the butterfly gentle care of my doctor. My experience with male doctors for some reason tend to use bigger instruments in this case -- the speculum. It's not like they need to be spelunking in there. Contrary to scorned ex-husbands, no stalactites have ever been found in any woman's vagina, I'm sure.

Why post about such a routine event? Well, sometimes it is enriching to share what is right with the medical world when women run it. They run it with themselves in mind and the sensitivity with dignity women are entitled to have each and every day. Hell, I told my girlies that the experience was so freeing that I would go daily for fun and take it up as a hobby. Uhm...That is a joke my lovelies.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: