Sunday, October 18, 2009

Dumpling Love

Jonesing for dumplings. Yeah, I know. "What happened to rice?" Ever since I've been exclusively eating brown rice (short grain and Jasmine long grain), I haven't been craving it as much. So now enter the dumplings or maybe is it the endless possibilities of the fillings?

Last weekend I made a seasoned pork and shrimp filling that I stuffed into square wonton skins. Several have been cooked in a chicken broth, ladled in a bowl and sprinkled with fresh chopped baby bok choy and several more steam-fried and finished with Indonesian soy sauce (thick and sweet).

Below are frozen rows still waiting to be cooked.



This evening had me making pumpkin dumpling raviolis. If I have to do this next time, I would just stuff one round skin and fold in half like the wontons. This was either too much dough or not enough filling in the dough for me.



Oooh. Pumpkin Ravioli Patch. Pillows and pillows.


I didn't feel like defrosting the red sauce from a previous batch in the freezer so I melted some butter with olive oil and added chopped spinach in a pan. When the pumpkin raviolis were done boiling, I quickly tossed them in the pan with spinach before plating them and sprinkled some Parmesan cheese on top. This would have been tastier with toasted pine nuts. Instead of a butter/olive oil mix, you could brown the butter and some sage together before incorporating the the dumplings with it.



Now to clean-up the dishes...


FYI & Warning - You will have loads to freeze of both these dumplings for future use:

Wonton Filling: fresh ground pork, fresh chopped peeled shrimp, finely chopped waterchestnuts, finely chopped shallots, sweet rice wine, ground ginger, pressed garlic, sesame oil, salt & pepper.

Dumpling Ravioli Filling: cooked squash, potato flakes, grated Parmesan, finely chopped shallot, pressed garlic, nutmeg, salt & pepper.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: