Thursday, April 02, 2009

Days That Don't Begin with S

I am breaking my bedtime by posting. Naughty Sprinkles.

It was supposed to be my day off. Relax, sleep in late and spend time with Tawny. My co-conspirator at work, Bridget, was already scheduled to take Monday and Tuesday off to extend a long weekend with her son. He was sick last Friday and then she caught the bug. She was still sick yesterday and was asked to work from home today so she wouldn't spread her cooties before my boss left for his vacation tomorrow. I had no choice but to show up in case she couldn't work at all. Just as well, Tawny had to accompany her husband to his medical tests all day.

Sacrificing a scheduled day off to put back in my vacation bank is not necessarily worth not taking the time off. I need it; however, my sense of duty of doing what is right reared its stupid head yesterday and today! Looks like I may have to tell my aunt tomorrow that I may not be preparing our lunch with her and we may need to postpone our project until the evening. Bridget will text me tomorrow morning to let me know how much involvement may be required of me. At the very least, I will have my laptop with me and if need be, I would be 20 minutes away from work.

Sometimes I feel other people are taking huge blocks of time off but me. I have been taking one or two days here and there. Look, not asking for your sympathy -- this blog is also my mental therapy to dump what is on my mind...

My old chum Sam called me this evening to ask if I had visited our high school reunion site. The e-mail notice for our 20-year reunion had come weeks before but I had not formally checked it out. It is set to take place in Wyoming the weekend after I get back from Los Angeles in July. We'll see. Even though I was one of the most active students at school with clubs and events, there are only a handful of people I am interested in speaking with and catching up. I already have those people in my facebook and cell phone. Does that sound bad?

I lived in a place where mediocrity thrived and uniqueness and being exotic was "different". If Sam is anything to go by, not much has changed. Do others feel this way? I know my friends feel this way about where they grew up. Are we unique in our feelings? or just feel that way within our circle? Not many of my friends followed what was expected of them, other than being productive and loving citizens. They are also creative and innovative. The talent pool they represent barely swum thanks to life's interruptions like marriage and children. That's another post.

What I'm trying to say is that I am tired and I want days off or vacation days on days that don't begin with S.


[Yes, I am long-winded!

:::sticking my tongue out:::

to Angie and Tawny]
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: