Thursday, November 23, 2006

We say "Grassy Ass" in the South

Amid my tryptophan haze, I am mulling over my very first "Un-Thanksgiving". This is the first Thanksgiving celebration in my 35 years without any family member (except Pretty Boy Dog, Cabal). It has been a mixture of sadness, relief and maybe a little bit of triumph from the freedom of choice.

One sure fire way to piss off your family or at least confound them is to abstain from attending a holiday gathering. They look at you as if you were an alien and may even call you periodically to see if you have somehow changed your mind. Your dear friends invite you, too, in case it is your family you are trying to get away from.

Sometimes you want to change things and see if it makes a difference. Be a holiday rebel! Yes, it sounds lame, but I double-dog dare you to say "no" to your own families and spend thanksgiving in your own home. It is not easy. Well, dammit I did it! Will I do it again next year? I truly don't know.

I did have turkey, homemade items like stuffing, gravy and sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, steamed broccoli (didn't have greenie-beanie fixins so I improvised), steamed corn, cranberry sauce from a can, and of course -- jasmine rice! For dessert, I had a slice yummy pumpkin pie from Publix topped with a perfect dollop of whipped topping and a side cup of latte. Later, I might have some eggnog with a smidge (ha!) of rum. Needless to say, I have plenty of leftovers.

Cabal even enjoyed some turkey and he may have the rest since I don't really care for it as a leftover even drowned in gravy. He is thankful, I'm sure. I won't say exactly what kind of turkey we had, but suffice it to say, I didn't oven bake my own. I've had this weird thing with cooking a whole turkey. I don't have issue with it already cooked and ready to carve. It's the pre-turkey prep -- it reminds me of cooking a toddler! Isn't that disgusting? Try holding a 20-lb. turkey or carrying it across the kitchen; I can almost lose my dinner thinking about it.

While writing this blog, I got a call from my Filipina cousin testing the waters and to see if I am harboring a sexy man in my apartment. She's thinking it could be the reason why I cut out this year. If I had a sexy man in my apartment, I would've made mashed potatoes and I definitely wouldn't be answering the phone!

In the end, I am thankful today and every day for the big things and for the little things, too. I am thankful for the courage needed to spend thanksgiving my way, Cabal for the company, the food I was able to cook, my family who still love me, my friends who still love me, and for all of them letting me be me.

Salamat, Merci, Danke, Arigato, and with no Southern accent -- Gracias!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: