Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Pretty Boy Dog 911

Nothing can get your heart racing faster than coming home to an emergency. I did just that tonight when I came home and Cabal didn't come to the door right away. When he finally made his way to me, he was limping and whimpering.

I examined him and the surroundings and surmised that he must've slipped on the rug by the door when he tried to get up earlier. Poor thing! How long ago did it happen? Was he in terrible pain? Did he fracture his leg? One horrible thought raced after the other until a voice of action finally won.

Cabal doesn't like car rides and I needed another person to help me get him still. I called Tawnyia (ever the saint) to help me take him to FVS (Florida Vet Services) for an emergency visit. We were there last year when he had a bladder infection. It is a veterinary teaching hospital with the latest equipment; I knew we would be in great hands.

We checked in and were taken to a waiting/exam room. My boy was restless, but he was good. I was more agitated. Here's a picture of him while we were there waiting for the doctor.

A nurse came in to get the story. AGOL Rule#1 in an emergency: "Stop asking me so many f&*^ing questions!". Yes, I know they need to get a background, but it just gets me going. Luckily, she was nice and didn't work my nerve too much.

The lady vet came in later with a timid intern. This lady totally rocked! She may give my vet a run for his money. She was gentle with my boy, but thorough. The intern had to do her own exam and she worked my nerve. Easy on my boy's leg, will ya? Aargh...

PBD had gone to the vet last week for his annual shots and teeth cleaning. AND THEN...on Tuesday this week, I had to pick up an ointment for his eyes since his allergies were kicking in. And now this trip. The prognosis was mild. He pulled a muscle and has to take some pain management meds.

We got home by 10PM and Tawnyia was able to get home and get some dinner. Cabal got his dinner and was eager to play even after all the excitement. We didn't of course. Crisis averted.

Update: It is Thursday...I came home to Cabal running in a circle while jumping. All I could do was chastise him about the emergency visit the night before. The meds were definitely in full gear. We did play tug with this rope bone, but no chasing or long runs in the apartment. He didn't appreciate it, but I decided to bribe him with a massage instead. You know, it doesn't matter what species, all males can be bribed with a massage. Let's keep that a secret, okay?


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: