Thursday, June 18, 2009

I Hate Popcorn...for Other Reasons

I actually love popcorn, but I can no longer eat more than 1/2 cup. To that end I avoid it completely. My body balks at its intrusion into my system. You may recall a trip to the emergency room and then doctor about a year ago. No repeats - no, thank you. Craving it when someone cooks a bag of it at work is no longer an issue. The shame of not being able to indulge in it during a movie theater outing has lessened, too.

This evening my enquiring mind led me to "How Stuff Works" website which is filled with fascinating information. It is pure joy to read their pages. Feels like drinking in words through my eyes and nourishing my mind. The added knowledge are like tiny electric flowers swaying and basking in the energy of my body. I love learning...until the small and galling hiccup in numbers 12 and 13 in Twenty Things You Didn't Know About Popcorn.

I recoiled and huffed when I read the following obscenities:
12. Unpopped kernels are called "old maids" or "spinsters."

13. There are two possible explanations for old maids. The first is that they didn't contain sufficient moisture to create an explosion; the second is that their outer coating (the hull) was damaged, so that steam escaped gradually, rather than with a pop. Good popcorn should produce less than 2 percent old maids.


Perhaps I am bristling too much. Still. Damn kernels.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: