Tuesday, June 29, 2010

No Taste

Now my taste buds are rebelling. At the beginning of my chemotherapy, I couldn't get enough of sour or Mexican food taste for weeks and weeks. Today, I realized through deduction that I can't taste sour.

For the first time during chemo, I have no real appetite. I mean -- I am hungry, but I don't have a "taste" for food. Nothing really is appealing at the moment with the exception of salty and sweet. It is the oddest thing.

It was first noticeable on Saturday and is still noticeable. I woke up with a craving for waffles and sausage which luckily I had this morning. Although I worked from home today, my boss and new director picked me up for a Greek lunch and I couldn't taste the tang of yogurt on the tzaziki slathered on my lamb gyro.

A couple of hours later, I had a specific craving for jelly doughnuts. I don't eat jelly doughnuts. I instant messaged my boss that I had to go to my apartment complex office for several minutes. Instead I drove to the nearest doughnut shop. The two pillows of doughnuts stuffed with strawberry jelly were like ambrosia. I felt guilty.

For dinner, I decided to get a famous chicken sandwich. Their chicken is marinated in pickle juice and their sandwich has pickles. Too bad the sandwich tasted bland today. I usually have their waffle french fries dipped in mayo and ketchup. That tasted bland, too. So no sour taste for Sprinkles.

I hope this doesn't last long or I will be losing weight for sure. This normally would be good, but I'd like it on my terms. I may need to pack an extra protein shake tomorrow for work.

Craving salty/sweet things,
Sprinkles xo
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

esruel said...

Cherries x Been eating them myself!
To the voice of the wicked witch: "Cherries! Cherries will help you find your taste!"
x peter x