Saturday, February 28, 2009

Arts in Angles

Crazy ready. I was already prepared to leave when Kimmee arrived minutes after Tawny at my apartment around 9am. There must have been an astrological alignment that caused such a rarity of meeting, more importantly: Sprinkles was not only being on time but crazy ready!

I drove us to Ybor City where Tawny gained us access to the garage parking of her new art center: Arts on Ninth. She and I were just there for the soft opening last evening. The grand opening is next weekend which will have some media coverage, a band playing live and lovely beings who share the love of art.

We made our way to La Creperia for some much needed breakfast and cups-after-cups of jolting java. The waitress now smiles more as she recognizes me from my recent visits. I finally made my introductions to her so I could call her by her name for future visits.

There was a Fiesta of sorts in Ybor where food and product vendors were setting up their wares for another event. I swear it has been nonstop since the weekend before the Super Bowl was here. Several snaps were taken on the way back...

Please forgive me but after searching 15 minutes to get the name of the shop that housed the following two pics, I gave up at trying to find it. Recognize them? They are like that old Brit show Spitting Image where the puppets were also in Genesis' "Land of Confusion" video.

Meet Sir Paul..


And Robert DeNiro with The Godfather in the background.


From my vantage point at the crepe place, this guy had made several passes back and forth. I was pleased to be able to capture him as we walked back. I totally dig the bubbles he was blowing as he walked by us.



I love trolleys especially the ones in New Orleans. Settling for this now.


The tiles were begging to be pictured. These are found in front of the movie kiosk in Centro Ybor.


Inside Arts on Ninth: Two artists who happen to be roommates living in the same house as Tawny's eldest son agreed to showcase their work as the first artists at the center's debut. Damon has shown all over the world while Reuben was awed at his work hanging in public for the first time. They are quite impressive and genuinely nice guys.



The building's owner is letting the art center borrow these breathtaking chairs from the 1920s. They were recently steam cleaned to bring out the fabric's splendor. For now, they are displayed in the middle of the Skylight Gallery. It is called that because of multiple skylights above the two-story ceiling.



The gilding on the scallop design is beautiful and has held its age incredibly well.


Drove Kimmee back to my place and left Tawny with her hubby who was busy preparing his area for the grand opening. Hours later Tawny came to pick me up so I could spend more time at the art center. We ended up in their studio room to make beaded necklaces. Tawny asked me to design a necklace for her mother-in-law using certain silver tube beads as focal points which she later strung and finished. We drove around a crowded Ybor to see the different kinds of character of people milling about before making our way back home.

My mind was filled with how I would stretch out my Filipino cooking series at the art center. Tawny and the other partner John had railroaded me last night at how I could start my cooking classes. Egads! I am still trying to figure out how much I can produce in sellable art for the shop.

In other AGOL news, I ended a casual relationship with someone after a year. He seemed to take it well enough. His voice during a call on his way home suddenly didn't affect me like it normally had and that's when I knew. Several days later, I discussed it with him. Perhaps the re-feng shui'ing my home feng shui'd him out the door? Ha! Also, a decision about my blog: a complete redesign is coming. I've already sent color and element ideas to Tawny's daughter who designed it originally. She has college finals at the moment so I will have borrow patience until she completes those. We have plenty to look forward to, don't we?
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: