Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Wanted: Network GPS

An early e-mail to my boss and colleague served as my white flag of surrender to work from home. I was trying to be optimistic that my fever and sore throat would go away. My fever kept visiting and leaving throughout the day. I didn't accomplish much for work; I kept experiencing technical difficulties with logging in remotely and my applications kept freezing which didn't help.

One of the most frustrating things was trying to get a map from the person who created it. She didn't respond to my instant message so I asked her boss 30 minutes later for a copy since it affects his department. He wasn't at his machine either. I then asked a lead technician and he had to look too. I progressed to a helpdesk technician and he didn't have it either. I then asked Tawnyia if she had one, but she was working at home like me. Last chance was my friend Jill -- she had maps, just the wrong ones. She gets brownie points for producing something.

I finally asked my colleague to scan mine from my desk and send to me. Of course, the original person I asked found her copy an hour later from my original request. Was Hoffa holding it for her? Was it in a secret vault? We could have used a GPS to find this map in our network. Good golly! Here's the question: Excluding my colleague, how many IT folks does it take to find a simple map? Six. They say technology IS progress? Crimony!

I really talked to Tawnyia, too, who was teasing me with links to craft projects I would love to do. She lives to torment me. Glad she was feeling better...

My day was interspersed with talking to Yummy when I wasn't working or when he wasn't taking a nap. He is still at home sick but getting better slowly. Poor baby! Kisses on his forehead.

I made a pitiful effort to continue working at night, but I just couldn't get into the groove. I am used to the dual monitors I have at work which makes things much easier. Tomorrow is another day and I have to be at work. Sick or no. Ugh.
Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Kathy B said...

Hope you feel better soon, or I'll be forced to make and deliver some faux chick'n soup! :-)

helloagol said...

You are so good to me! Thank you for offering the other night to get me some meds btw. I hardly get sick. It is Thurs PM and I am sucking down more of my pathetic baby aspirin.

Tawny said...

After this day we'll all need faux chick'n soup! :) and RUM!