Sunday, November 01, 2009

Post Halloween

Just got home an hour ago from the other side of the apartment complex. I should be in bed now, but we have ended Daylight Savings Time and I had an extra hour. Might was well post while it is still fresh in my mind...

Tawny had an intimate evening of old horror flicks planned for her guests. Her apartment was dark, many candles were lit, had a bubbling cauldron by the dining area, snacks and sweets all over the table for us to nibble and plenty of good cheer.

I brought two dishes. Once was a plate of refrigerated croissant dough torn at random pieces to wrap around sliced smoked kielbasa sausage that were no bigger than two inches long. The nibbles were baked, speared with toothpicks before I arranged them around a ramekin of spicy mustard.

The other dish was a more spooky fare that tantalized my creativity...

BEFORE PICTURE




AFTER PICTURE



How? First I sliced the package of cream cheese into two equal parts and rolled them into a ball. They were placed together and mushed down a bit into the serving dish. I wasn't sure how it would work but I drew capillary-like furrows into the cream cheese before drizzling some barely warmed homemade red pepper jelly from my aunt over the mounds. I topped them with two small rounds of red pepper I cut to fit underneath the gummy eyeball candy. This was served with buttery crackers.

The craziest part of the evening was when I found myself unable to get out of Tawny's bathroom. I somehow managed to lock myself inside. Her husband and relatives were just in the bedroom next door looking at something on the Internet so I knocked, but no one answered. I didn't know they had left to go back into the living room where the TV was a bit loud. By this time I was giggling so hard I barely could talk on my cell phone. Tawny knew where I was and couldn't fathom why I was calling her from the bathroom. She was cracking up on the other line as she made her way to rescue me. It was several minutes before we could speak from laughing painfully. There is never a dull moment in Sprinklesville!
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: