Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

This week was my vacation week. It started off with a weekend trip to Jacksonville to visit Kathy with Tawny. Kathy surprised us with movie tickets to see New Moon which we all enjoyed immensely. Tawny and I have read all four books of the Twilight series while Kathy seems to have been motivated to read two more.

I was pretty much a slug on Monday while Tuesday was spent at a recommended follow-up check-up with my physician. The bloodwork taken at my cookie doctor last month revealed that I was anemic and unusually low on Vitamin D. It is official -- I am a vampire! My physician surprisingly wrote me a script for the vitamin deficiency.

The doctor also prescribed a mammogram since it has been years since I've had one. At (almost) 39 and with history of cancer in my family, I've had to endure the breast pancake machine earlier than normal. Coincidentally Tawny had to get one, too, with the same radiology company. A couple of phone calls secured us back-to-back appointments yesterday. We took the term Bosom Buddies to a whole new level!

Today is Thanksgiving Day...Turkey, gravy and rice -- could anything be more divine? My aunt made a legendary feast as she always does. This time I took home some leftovers to enjoy later.

I brought my aunt a big jar sampling of my Atchara (Filipino pickled papaya). Pic #1 is of the raw ingredients. The only things missing are the garlic and the sugar. Pic #2 is the finished product.




Yes, the decorative carrots are a rule. I didn't make the rule; I just followed it for fear of bringing a strange yet believable Filipino curse on me.




For part of dessert I made Cake Ball Truffles. It is made by blending spice cake (usually red velvet cake) and cream cheese frosting before rolling into balls. [Clearly not my original idea!] They were chilled and then dipped in chocolate coating. These crazy treats were a hit at my aunt's feast as well as Tawny's home. I stopped on the way to my aunt's to drop off a couple of containers.




Tomorrow is Black Friday. I have no desire to be in any retail store at any hour just to avoid the greedy crowds altogether. Some stores are opening at midnight tonight and others around 3am, 4am, etc. just to capture more sales with lures of unheard of deals. Big deal. Well then...Off to get some green tea.


PS I am thankful for my family and friends who continually support, encourage and love me. I am also very thankful that I don't have to go in the sun to increase my levels of Vitamin D. Taking a pill is worth every wrinkle not earned. Hee.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: