Saturday, March 07, 2009

Grand Opening

The art center had its grand opening this weekend. The feeling of pride I have for Tawny and Jeff is immense. To see their dream come to fruition is bliss.

The painting below was from the announcement cards and not the original hanging on the wall. Reuben Garcia is one of the two artist being showcased. He sold a different painting on Saturday.



Here are the front and back of the announcement cards that were passed out around the surrounding area and displayed at the center for Saturday, the Big Night.



Jeff stripped the paint off the front door using a circular saw, added some simple doodle art and sealed it to protect from rust. I love how it is both industrial and whimsical.



There was a band on Friday night in the theater portion and a cellist in the gallery on Saturday.



So Friday...This AGOL left work a little early to get ready and make it to the opening. I volunteered to play bartender when the other person was too sick to make it downtown. All the drinks were complimentary because the art center doesn't have a license to sell wine or beer. It was a slow night. Most people were waiting for Saturday. I had fun and made enough in tips to cover my parking garage fees. I ended the evening with a late burger nosh with Tawny, Jeff and their youngest son.

And then Saturday...Today was pure nuts. Mr. Pretty Boy Dog did not - repeat - did NOT allow his mother to sleep in. We all know it is all about him. Typical Male... I was still tired when I drove myself to the nearest donut shop for their delicious coffee and a surprise box of donuts for Jeff and Tawny. I was off an hour on their morning schedule that I ended up waking them up an hour earlier than they had intended. Whoops. They still loved the donuts that a sleepy-eyed Tawny took from me when I drove up to the curb and called.

The coffee kicked in quickly. This is my boss' joke: He says that instead of having Restless Leg Syndrome from having too much candy, he gets Restless Body Syndrome from too much coffee. Guess who had Restless Body Syndrome? A visit to the nail salon and other shopping errands used up the extra zip.

Before I could make my way for the grand opening, I had to drive over 30 miles for a final memorial gathering for Dan that his partner Bruce was hosting. For once I didn't bring food, but the plates, utensils and napkins. I chose yellow plates and napkins to contribute cheeriness to our potluck. As I prepared to make my exit before the memorial DVD, an issue with the DVD arose and I helped to make it work. I had no choice but to stay then and watch along with the dozen or so people in attendance or risk disrespecting the gathering.

You would have thought it was rush hour with the parking lot the highway turned out to be on the way to the art center. Jeff called to ask when I was coming to play bartender again. The center was busy and he needed to be available to talk to guests. I chose to valet park my car instead of losing an extra 15-20 minutes. The valet area was just a several yards from the center.

The complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks were flowing. Several had recommended I put a tip jar in place which made me uncomfortable. It didn't stop people from tipping me and insisting I take the money when I declined. All in all it was fun. I don't have issues with talking in front of people or reaching out to strangers and offering a hello and a smile. Met dozens of new people and also had the opportunity to see familiar faces, too.

.................

The shot below was altered to highlight the exit sign and art. When the theater side is completely painted black instead of half the walls that were shadowed in the original photo, I will share as soon as I can...

What I really wanted to say with the shot below which I entitled, Exit to Art is that most of the adult population walks around with their consciousness in the dark both voluntarily and involuntarily. Wouldn't it be great if those adults were able to escape into some creative release? The cloak of seriousness thanks to the dismal economy is an undesired burden that needs to be shed.



There is nothing more fun for me than being deep in art or any creative pursuit and sharing that joy with others.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Bartender! You were great! Love the "exit to art"!